The day of Christ that Abraham saw

I have been studying the book of John to refresh myself regarding the Lordship of Christ and then I came across this verse
John 8:56 “Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.”
And my question is…which day is Jesus refering to here?

2 Likes

@Mlungisi1984 Great question! :slight_smile: It appears that the most likely reference was to the rejoicing over the lamb Abraham knew God would provide as an offering. Remember, God replaced Isaac with a ram, but Abraham had told Isaac God would provide a lamb - pointing to Jesus. This notion that Abraham knew of the Messiah was actually common among Jewish interpreters. See following notes for more information. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

What is the meaning of Jesus’ statement that the patriarch Abraham “saw” his day and rejoiced? The use of past tenses would seem to refer to something that occurred during the patriarch’s lifetime. Genesis Rabbah 44:25ff, (cf. 59:6) states that Rabbi Akiba, in a debate with Rabbi Johanan ben Zakkai, held that Abraham had been shown not this world only but the world to come (this would include the days of the Messiah). More realistically, it is likely that [Gen 22:13-15](javascript:{}) lies behind Jesus’ words. This passage, known to rabbis as the Akedah (“Binding”), tells of Abraham finding the ram which will replace his son Isaac on the altar of sacrifice – an occasion of certain rejoicing.

“To say that Abraham saw the Messiah was neither new nor offensive to Jewish teachers; it was its application to Jesus that was unbelievable”. Appealing to Genesis 15:17-21, R. Akiba (AD 135) taught that God revealed to Abraham the mysteries of the coming age…Abraham’s rejoicing was taken by Jewish tradition to refer to his laughter at the prospect (or actual birth) of his son Isaac…It has been suggested that the reference here may refer to Abraham’s rejoicing when he announced to Isaac on the way to the sacrifice, “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son”. Zondervan Illustrated Bible Background Commentary

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this answer and for taking your time to respond

2 Likes

These answers haves given me so much insight

2 Likes

@Mlungisi1984 Glad it helped :slight_smile: May the Lord Jesus continue to bless you as you grow in the grace and knowledge of Him.

1 Like