The Deer of the Dawn

Aijeleth Shahar (The Deer of the Dawn)

-A plea for God’s presence-

“My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭22:1‬

“For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet. I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me; They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots. But You, O LORD, be not far off; O You my help, hasten to my assistance.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭22:16-19‬ ‭

“All the prosperous of the earth will eat and worship, All those who go down to the dust will bow before Him, Even he who cannot keep his soul alive. Posterity will serve Him; It will be told of the Lord to the coming generation. They will come and will declare His righteousness To a people who will be born, that He has performed it.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭22:29-31‬

In his Psalm, King David complains, and mixes prayers with his complaints as he complains of the power and rage of his enemies, of his own bodily weakness and decay but prays that God would not be far from him. This is so applicable for us still today, surrounded by an unseen enemy in the Novel Coronavirus.

How often are we assaulted by a situation that completely overcomes us? David is here accused and surrounded by his enemies. They must have been of a superior rank of fighting man, who for their strength and fury, are compared to bulls, fat and fed. Bellies full, strong and ferocious; such were the chief priests and elders that persecuted Christ. And others of a lower rank, who are all compared to dogs filthy and greedy, and not tired at all in tracking him down. Seeing King David express these emotions, as prophetically did Christ the same; should we expect not to lament and moan and suffer as well? Of course we should and we will. However we who believe on Christ have inherited the Comforter, a more sure hope in dark times.

The same voice that began the psalm complaining, who was no other than Christ in his humiliation, ends it here in triumph, and it can be no other than Christ in his exaltation. And, as the first words of the complaint were used by Christ himself upon the cross, so the first words of the triumph are expressly applied to him…

“”…I WILL PROCLAIM YOUR NAME TO MY BRETHREN, IN THE MIDST OF THE CONGREGATION I WILL SING YOUR PRAISE.””
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭2:12‬ ‭

The certain prospect which Christ had of the joy set before him not only gave him a satisfactory answer to his prayers, but turned his complaints into praises; he saw of the travail of his soul, and was well satisfied, witness that triumphant word wherewith he breathed his last: It is finished. We can rest knowing regardless of what any situation may bring, Christ breathed His last, and finished the work of saving us all.
We might well die in our sleep or we may all have to draw our last breaths in agony, separated from our beloved in order that Christ may fulfill His work in us. That decision isn’t ours to make. May the Holy Spirit of Christ comfort us all until we can gather again. God is always good.

Be blessed.