The Early Jesus Movement

(Rob G.) #1

Hello,

I recently read articles concerning the first Jesus movement and the power struggle between Paul and James. I am not sure what to make of this. This is the first time in my walk that I have ever heard of this. Apparently Paul had never met Jesus and yet takes precedence over Jesus brother James in regards to authority and credibility? Any readings that you could recommend on this subject would be great. Thank you.

4 Likes
(Carson Weitnauer) #2

Hi @Ilovejesus1,

Good question!

I would point to Galatians 2:7-9,

On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised (for he who worked through Peter for his apostolic ministry to the circumcised worked also through me for mine to the Gentiles), and when James and Cephas and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to Barnabas and me, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.

This looks to me like a spirit of unity and mutual honor. Paul is saying that there existed a mission to the circumcised and to the uncircumcised, to Jews and to Gentiles, and that when the apostles met to discuss the gospel and their mission, they recognized in each other the same work of God.

What evidence is there of a power struggle between Paul and James?

3 Likes
(Lindsay Brandt) #3

Hello, @Ilovejesus1! Welcome! I am wondering, are these articles available online, and if so, could you point us to them so that we might have a look in order to see where the authors are coming from?

1 Like
(Erich Mosier) #4

I agree @psalm151ls, without seeing the authors text or their context, it is hard to understand where they are coming from.

One question I would raise is why would you think that James would have more authority than Paul? Granted James was the brother of Jesus, but he also thought Jesus was crazy and certainly not the messiah, at least not until after His resurrection. Paul met the risen Jesus and was specifically chosen by Him to spread the Gospel. I would think that would give him more authority than James.

2 Likes
(Rob G.) #5

I should probably stay away from you tube as a source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ftrUdKFKZg

1 Like
(Lindsay Brandt) #6

Well, I don’t know…it depends on how you approach and use YouTube. As long as a person isn’t looking at it as being automatically authoritative, I think that You Tube can provide great fodder for discussions such as these :). Thanks for providing the link! I will take a look at it today, and hopefully some others will, too!

(Rob G.) #7

There is so much disinformation out there and I hallucinate to say much more when the darkness attempts to dilute truth. Sometimes i like to take a break from the word or other books and watch info about Jesus. One must be careful to make sure stay diligent in using scripture as a filter for unauthenticated sources. God Bless.

2 Likes