The Garden of Eden

Hi everyone, I have a question about the garden of Eden. At the end of Genisis Chapter 3 the Bible (ESV) says, “He drove out the man, and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim and a flaming sword that turned every way to guard the way of the tree of life.”

My question is: Do we know or have an understanding of where this is today? Because the Bible is an historical account of actual people, places and things, I’m wondering where this garden is or how we explain it’s location.

5 Likes

Hi Melanie!

I have heard it explained like this:

During the time of the Garden of Eden on Earth all land was one continent. However, after The Flood that one body of land split into seven different land masses, so the location of the Garden of Eden is now broken apart.

I’m not sure if there are other explanations, but I hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you for responding. It helps … in that one I have more questions!

When I wrote the question I wasn’t thinking of the flood, so that’s interesting to ponder.

It makes me wonder what happened to “the tree” yet (in a whimsical way) also helps explain why when I walk through the grandeur of Vancouver Island’s forests, it feels biblical! :wink: And why our world is so beautiful because it’s scattered with peices of The Garden. I say this slightly in gest but it’s a thought I will enjoy throughout my day … and on my next hike!

2 Likes

As @joncarp says; the flood likely destroyed the garden and/or changed the landscape so much it would probably be impossible to know exactly where it was. Here are a few references that might be of interest…

https://carm.org/where-is-the-location-of-the-garden-of-eden

what I found interesting is the Cherubim only seemed to guard the eastern side of the garden (Genesis 3:23), I liked how theBibleProject video explored the theme of Exile and how Jesus made a way back to God.

hope that helps… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@melaniejoyhart Great question :slight_smile: While we cannot know the actual location, here are a few facts to keep in mind.

• the author of Genesis knows the location of the 4 rivers, which either means its general location was relative to landmarks that existed when Moses was composing it or that this story predates Moses by a long time - perhaps even before the flood
  • there is no location near the modern Tigris and Euphrates where 4 rivers have a common source as described and it is very possible the lay of the land was altered by the flood

Cush . In the Bible the Hebrew word כּוּשׁ (kush, “Kush”) often refers to Ethiopia (so KJV, CEV), but here it must refer to a region in Mesopotamia, the area of the later Cassite dynasty of Babylon. See [Gen 10:7-10](javascript:{}) as well as E. A. Speiser, Genesis (AB), 20. The man Cush had a son named Havilah (see [2:11](javascript:{}): “land of Havilah”). Another son was Nimrod, the centers of whose kingdom were in Babylon, Ninevah, and similarly placed cities. Eden was in the East, which was where the headwaters of the four rivers were. NET Bible

4 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to respond! Much appreciated :pray:t2:

2 Likes

Thank you for responding. Interesting. So many topics to explore! We will have an eternity to find answers … if they even matter then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@melaniejoyhart Yes, since we learn to walk in faith in this life, I think it is possible that—contrary to popular belief—Heaven is not a place where we get all of the answers, but instead a place where at last we have the only answer we really need—God Himself :slight_smile:

2 Likes