The Hinge Podcast

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi friends,

I’ve been listening to The Hinge Podcast recently -
http://www.hingepodcast.org

It is a podcast about ‘doubt, identity, and the search for the real Jesus.’ It features Cory Markum (an atheist) and Drew Sokol (a pastor) as they interview experts and share their personal reflections on the question, “Who was Jesus?”

It is a very professional production. I like how it not only explores various approaches and arguments to these questions, but also models civil, thoughtful dialogue.

If you enjoy it, please write back and share what you found most interesting!

(Melvin Greene) #2

I just finished listening to the first two episodes and I agree with you @CarsonWeitnauer. Very well done! I like to be challenged in what I believe. I also like programs that are real; that show the struggles I think everyone at one time or another face. Is what we believe true, or is it just some fantasy we invented to help us deal with the harsh reality we live in? That’s one of the things I love about the Bible. It doesn’t sugar coat anything. God gives us the unvarnished truth about our “heroes” of the faith. The doubts, fears, outright rebellion and character flaws are all right there for us to see. Jesus himself said we would have troubles, pain, sorrow, persecution as we follow him in this world. He also promised us that he has overcome the world and he will be with us going through all of this. When fear and doubt come to haunt me, I turn and look at the cross and think, “Yeah, but what was God doing hanging on the cross?” That’s what makes what I believe so real and true.

Sorry, Carson. I didn’t mean to wander off like I did. Thanks for sharing this pod cast.

(Joshua Elder) #3

Carson,

Thank you for recommending this podcast. I’ve listened to two episodes and found it challenging, but also affirming (which I would guess was their intention.) In episode two I was particularly challenged by Drew Marshall, the radio host who lost his faith after thirty years. He presented a very powerful metaphor of God as a father and asked the question if God is a loving father why would he hide from us. He compared it to a loving father playing hide and seek with his child but every time the child turned to find his father, his father would move behind his back until it would leave the child distraught. His point was a loving father would not hide himself from his children, he would show himself and yet God is not readily present in our lives.

To be honest, I found the metaphor a powerful argument against a loving Father being real. Thanks be to God that as I thought more on it, the Lord gave me some insight into the problem of his metaphor. As most metaphors it lacks an honesty of the possibility of another solution. In the metaphor, God, the Father, in some cruel joke, refuses to reveal himself to his children showing God is not loving at all, if God is real. The problem is that his explanation is not the only reason for a loving Father not to be more readily present among us. In fact, I believe the scripture gives us some insight into why a loving Father, who is also a most Holy God cannot be near us if he is truly loving. The metaphor does not take into account holiness and evil. That as was said so many times throughout scripture, God who is perfectly good can never have anything to do with evil. And so we might have to change the image, to a more biblical approach, that the children in the story have chosen to not only do evil but delight in it and for God to come near them may mean pain, suffering at the presence of a Holy God, and ultimately destruction. The Jewish people believed (and I believe rightly) that to see the face of God someone could not live because he was so Holy. If that is true would a loving father be near his children if it meant they could not live. Instead, a loving father would be far from his children to not cause them suffering and pain and destruction at his presence.

But this is where Jesus comes in. A loving father would find a way to be near his children. If his children refused to turn from their wicked ways what would he do? Could it be possible that he would find a way to take the pain, the suffering, the death upon himself for their unholiness. Could he possibly find a way that would make them Holy and clean, and that they could be joined together again without pain and destruction. If that was possible, wouldn’t loving father do this? Well God has. In the person of Jesus Christ, God not only made himself manifest in our mortality, revealed himself to us through Jesus, but made a way that Isaiah tells us would be called the way of Holiness, it would bring us to our loving Father again.

We still live in a world were sin, death and evil are present but God has begun a work in Christ that the scriptures tell us will ultimately lead to our making our homes with God, where God will dwell among his people and will not be far. Under the constraints of free will, of love, of justice, of evil, of holiness, and grace God has begun a work to be with his children forever. We can argue that we wished there was another way (as we often do). But thank God for his grace and love and forgiveness that there is a way at all, and praise God that a loving Father would not let go of his evil children who still refuse to come to him in the person of Christ.

Josh

(Melvin Greene) #4

Wow! Very well said, @Joshua_Elder!