The jobs we do in a fallen world

(Fourie) #1

Hi everyone. I have been in the alcohol industry now for 12 years. Lots of sinning and a failed marriage later i found the Lord but I’m still in it. I am the bead of marketing now for a liquor wholesaler. Restaurants and informal establishments (some illegal) all buy from us. I have felt like a traitor for a long time selling a product that destroys peoples lives. Some Christians have told me that I can be a light in a world where little evangelists go and that people all have to make their own choices. But I’m still uneasy. In fact, marketing in general often uses worldly vices to lure people to buy things they don’t need. Using sex, pride, vulnerability etc. Can someone give me perspective? Can I be a Godly man AND sell unbelievable amounts of alcohol?

(Jimmy Sellers) #2

My short answer is find another job. If you feel that what you do does more harm than good and it sounds like you are leaning that way then use your talents else where. I know that this is easier said than done. In my career I had to make ajustments in how I did/do business to square up my talk with my walk. I will be praying that you and the Lord come to terms.

(christopher van zyl) #3

I am a recent graduate, and so I don’t have any experience or advice to give you. However, I do have a thought about what I would do, and maybe that can be of some help.

Any industry can destroy lives. Think about how many lives have been destroyed from McDonald’s and coca cola? You are providing people with a beverage, where, just like coke, if abused, can lead to much damage. If you were in the coke industry, what could you do to mitigate the damage? Perhaps better marketing, showing people more of the effects? Could it be the same as with alcohol?

I’m having a castle lite right now, and I think of how much I enjoy it. I have a choice to have another and another, but I don’t think that falls on you. Unless you are advertising drunkenness. If that is the case, you’re in a unbelievably good place to change that!

One of my favorite characters in the Bible is Daniel. He lived in Babylon, in fact, was a main administrator, and rose to the top ranks. But when it was between choosing God or the culture, he chose God. I often wonder, how can you be in a position of high authority when you know the administration is so anti God. His life is a model for how I want to engage with my vocation when the Lord provides me with work. I encourage you to read Daniel.

Like I’ve said, I have no experience to give, but I’m so excited to think this through with you, and pray with you that you may have more clarity and wisdom.

(SeanO) #4

@jacque You said “I have felt like a traitor for a long time selling a product that destroys peoples lives”. It sounds like you are violating your own conscience. I am not saying that working where you do is wrong, but that you feel it is wrong. I think there are 3 things I would say to hopefully help you think through your situation.

1 - It is not wise to violate your own conscience
2 - We should honor governing authorities - if your company is doing things that are illegal, that is not okay
3 - We should not tempt others to sin - if you feel that you are promoting alcoholism, then that should be taken into account in your decision

I’ve included some Scriptures and an article for you to read as you think through the wisest decision. The Lord Jesus grant you wisdom.

Romans 14:13-18 - Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.

Romans 13:-13 - Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.

(Alban Hoxha) #5

Hi, such decisions are difficult and only GOD can lead us to the right path. It looks like Holy Spirit is working within your hart and mind and you are thinking transforming yourself. God has blessing for you in his store at the same time you want to be accomplished in his plan professionallyas well. I can only bring my view and maybe help a bit. The beverage industry is an important one, however alchohol as you have come to same conclusion is not encouraged in our faith. As a head of marketing it requires you to help the company to promote the value of these products and do a great job at it. It looks like personally you don’t believe in the value of the product anymore and this prevents your talent to its fullest potential. God wants to use your talents to fullest potential. Maybe realignment of your marketing skills in the same industry such as soft drinks, coffee etc or even wine could be a solution without lots of changes. Otherwise find a product that you believe and pursue those opportunities. Again tjese are difficult decisions as they have financial impact and your ability to provide but I believe GOD has already a plan for you. Pray for it and ask GOD for his wisdom to help with this situation. GOD bless you.