The Kemetic movement

(Paul C. Dillon) #1

Hello everyone. As a Believer, let me just say that I appreciate this forum. I would like to continue the discussion on Kemetic Systems of belief. Paul gathered all things and demonstrated that we may find Christ in many “alternative” viewpoints. As an African American, I recognize myself as part of the Body of Christ first (Theri is neither slave nor free, Jew nor Gentile). So I offer the consideration to discuss the Kemetic movement and ponder how we can present the tenants of the Gospel as the ultimate foundation of our beliefs as we consider other viewpoints

2 Likes
Introduction: My Name is Marcus
(Kathleen) #2

Hi, @Pg_llc!
Just to say that I’ve moved this post off of @iomos_marad’s introduction and into a category of it’s own to give it more visibility. :slight_smile: I, too, would like to know a little bit more about what the two of you have mentioned about Kemetic orthodoxy. What strikes you particularly about this way of viewing the world? Are there similarities to Christian orthodoxy?

2 Likes
(Billie Corbett) #3

Yes, I am very curious about your thoughts, because to be honest, I have never heard of the Kemetic system before this post.

(Paul C. Dillon) #4

Quite frankly, it represents a New Age movement. As with all philosophies and practices which purport to be truthful, a critical analysis is necessary to examine the purported truths against the verifiable truths of the scriptures.

It is to that end that I would like to examine this movement with an emphasis on applying apologetic principles to the views that are presented.

In examining the Kemetic concepts, I will start with Wikepedia for a summary.

1 Like
(Billie Corbett) #5

Okay. Sounds like I need to dig into this a bit. I am a total newbie with regards to this topic.

(Paul C. Dillon) #6

We can explore it together

(Andrew Bulin) #7

Interesting topic! This is definitely something I’ve not heard of till now.
Since you brought it up, @Pg_llc, I was hoping you can kick us off with some example resources of any kind, and hopefully some scholarly ones that relate this to Christianity in some way.

Just some general Googling on my part shows that this is exclusively a modern movement of Egyptian idol worship, so I cannot see any parallels to Christianity. What we could do is go back to the Old Testament to see how God worked to set His people a part from being tempted by Egyptian and other pagan nations. But other than that, I don’t really have much frame of reference.

Do you see any parallels to Christianity? I’m not sure I follow your biblical reference. I’ll post Galatians here:

Galatians 3:24-29 NASB
[24] Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. [25] But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. [26] For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. [27] For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. [28] There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. [29] And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise.

Paul was speaking of how Christians were united under Christ, as there were difficulties in the new church for Jews, Gentiles and others to get a long as Christians, and not trying to make pagan beliefs cohabitable.

Looking forward to more info if you have any! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
(Paul C. Dillon) #8

Its been a while, sorry. My goal is to help a brother rely only on sound doctrine. I really appreciate all the comments

(Jukka Ahonen) #9

Hello, Paul!

What makes people more receptive is sincere intention to listen to what they are interested in. If you have people in your life who are involved with the Kemetic movement, I believe they would greatly appreciate it if you asked them questions about their beliefs. If you are just genuinely curious, you don’t have to compromise anything of your own faith.

Just keep in mind where you stand, and learn how to love them first and foremost.

After learning from them about Egypt, if you revisit the Exodus story, you might have some extra insight into what the LORD’s works might have appeared in the context of ancient Egypt. The book of Exodus might turn out to be a huge resource, both for you and them, when you have a dialogue with them.

1 Like
(Lakshmi Mehta) #10

So I have been reading about yoga recently, and stumbled upon Kemetic yoga. While the Indian version of yoga is more well known, the kemetic Egyptian form of yoga is said to pre-date Hindu yoga and is also slowly gaining presence in the West. Kemetic system of beleifs are much like Hindu beliefs with belief of the divine in nature, immortality through dissociation of the mind from the material world, the concept of life-force and energy centers, sun and moon worship, ancestral worship etc. I have also seen parallels between the Hindu and Egyptian deities and parallels between Hindu and Egyptian rituals of idol worship, funeral rites etc. The article suggests that Egyptian beleifs came to southern India but Indians seem to think the Vedic culture went from India to Africa. I know practically nothing about Egyptology but thought the link is intriguing. The question I have is whether the deities got new names as language developed with migration. Would be great to have more input from other members in the community on this.

Here’s a brief article from CARM on the Kemetic system of beleifs.
https://carm.org/what-is-kemetic-orthodoxy-spirituality

and the article related to Kemetic yoga that I stumbled upon.

From these articles, it seems the arguments used when discussing Christianity with Hindus would be relevant when discussing Christianity with those in the Kemetic movement. I hope this is helpful as a start for more research into the Kemetic movement.

2 Likes
(Paul C. Dillon) #11

Thanks so much. I do find time and time again that the truths of the bible are supported through history and archeology. As a sceptic, I have looked at detailed accounts of the Exodus. A new documentary reveals the truth of the Exodus experience from an archeological framework. In fact Gods decent on mount Siani is evidenced by what locals call “The Mountain of Moses” where the top of the mountain is black! Differing from a volcanic rock, Mount Saini has rocks that are chared on the outside but granite on the inside! Unfortunately, even some Jewish denominations (Thank God for my Jewish Brothers and Sisters as I love and pray for them) dont believe in the Exodus.

So in consideration of the Kemetic movement or any other process that deviates from the truths of the written word, I believe we will see and in fact find simarities with other world systems that seek to replace what we find in the most popular book in history, The Bible!

So lets begin our analysis by considering the origin of Kemetic Beliefs.

“Kemet is the name the native African people of the country now known as Egypt called themselves in their surviving writings. Many scholars refer to the people as “kmt” or Kemet. The surviving artifacts of the Kemet viziers and scribes evidence that Kemet rule of law was “Maat,” contained at least in part in observing the 42 Laws of Maat”

So here we see that

1. They called themselves “Kemet”
  2. They went by the laws of “Maat”

As I ponder these two opening phrases, I find both within myself and through considering the thoughts of others that man has a tendency to define himself. Man has a tendency to define standards of living that are just, divine, pure and the like. I think about this and wonder by what right do we have to determine absolutes when we dont know all Truth? This seems to be a common error in human history. I wonder why we claim to know human derived absolutes? Why do we judge our environment from our own perspective? Why do we come up with our own laws, rules and protocols to define a “holy” life.

Comments welcome

May God Bless you today, May he ckmfort you and keep you safe in the shadow of his wings!

In Christ’s Love
Paul