The Man with Golden Arm - 2.4 Million Babies Saved in Australia

(SeanO) #1

Saw this story and wanted to share - amazing how simply being a blood donor one man saved so many.

Do you guys think this could be a good sermon illustration or is it too heavy handed / too direct? I think it could be a way of explaining how it’s the blood of Christ alone that can deal with the problem of sin.

(Melvin Greene) #2

What a great story, @SeanO! I think it would be a good sermon analogy for the atoning sacrifice of Jesus. I’m reminded of a similar analogy in a classic movie. I don’t know if you’re familiar with this movie, because it came out in the late 60’s or the early 70’s. It starred Charliton Heston and titled “The Omega Man”. The premise is that the majority of human beings were affected with a virus that turned them into beings that had to stay out of the sunlight and were violent. Charliton Heston’s character had some how injected himself with the vaccine so he was immune to it. At the end of the movie he was severely wounded by a spear, but instead of trying to save himself, he collected his blood so survivors could reproduce the vaccine. Will Smith starred in a similar movie called, “I Am Legend”.

(SeanO) #3

@Melvin_Greene Thanks for the feedback! Always hard to tell if it would be useful without getting a second opinion.

I was not familiar with “The Omega Man” and actually I had never seen “I Am Legend” either, so I just learned a new cultural reference :slight_smile: I can see how this plot line would be popular when zombies were all the rage.

Another zombie reference that can be a good sermon illustration is that without Christ we are all like zombies - the walking dead. Our bodies are alive but our soul is dead in trespasses and sin until Christ restores us to life!

(Melvin Greene) #4

I’ve heard of the zombie analogy. In fact our assistant Pastor used it in one of his sermons awhile back. I thought he did a good job. I’m not sure if it resounded well with the “more seasoned” members, though. :wink:

(SeanO) #5

@Melvin_Greene Haha, yes, I think it’s better for young people certainly