The meaning of Jesus' death

In this Holy Week, Amy Orr-Ewing will be helping us reflect on and consider the meaning of Jesus’ death. On day one of this week’s series, Amy considers what lessons we can draw today from the disorientation of Jesus’ journey to Calvary 2,000 years ago.

God on a cross is God with us, in our fear, in our anxiety, in our disorientation.

So in that work of the cross, Jesus is in tremendous intellectual and emotional and spiritual anguish doing this huge seismic, cosmic theological work of salvation. But in the midst of that work, he hears the voice of one sinner, one thief, “Jesus remember me.” And Jesus speaks to the man and it’s just extraordinary. And I believe those words echo through 2,000 years to us today. Jesus says, “Today you will be with me in paradise.” Today you will be with me in paradise. Into our anxiety, into our turmoil, into our disorientation, the Son of God, from the cross speaks. Today matters.

Make it personal:

• How are you experiencing Jesus with you in the midst of our current disruption?

• How are you comforted to know that Jesus continued to care for individual sinners even as he died on the cross?

2 Likes

Thank you Amy for those words of encouragement! During the current disruption, I feel like I have more time to listen and think on the words of Jesus. In that way He always feels closer, and I am reminded more of what he spoke when I am helping others who are struggle more than we are at this time.

Jesus’ heart for God’s children was obvious as He was being crucified, and the example of Him continuing to minister to others as He hung there dying brings great comfort as it helps me to realize that He understands our sufferings and never stops caring for us, no matter what happens. This is such a beautiful point that I have never considered. :heart::heart:

1 Like

This was so beautifully said. When Amy said “during this huge, seismic, cosmic theological work of salvation, Jesus hears the voice of one sinner”…
My heart is in my stomach. Jesus is the most profoundly, comforting, relevant figure imaginable!
“Today, you will be with me in paradise.” Knowing this, sustains me, past, present and future. As of yet, I have not been “personally” affected by this pandemic. I realize that could change. I am so very thankful to have a Savior. THE Creator of the universe would look to each of us and say “Today you will be with me in paradise” if we would just ask :pray: I don’t know how people do it without God.

2 Likes