The most effective street preaching?

I’ve listened to a number of street preachers who none of which seem to focus on the first great commandment - Loving God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength.

Would this not be the most effective/important message to preach on streets? Urging those who pass by to fall in love with God, God who longs for their love? Why preach any other message?

What led me to Christ was originally a decision to fall in love with God, who revealed through the Holy Spirit everything that I now know. Why don’t preachers allow the Holy Spirit to do the work of sanctifying instead of trying to preach the requirements of sanctification?

3 Likes

Hello @GregoryPaul!

It is nice to hear from you again😁 I hope you have been able to explore and learn much in regards to what life in God’s everlasting love is all about!

This is a great topic you are deliberately pondering. And I think it is something that every Christian must consider, whether they are an ordained minister of the Word or not.

I believe this realization and observation could be related to someone who admires another person so much. When one looks highly of someone else, they naturally tend to imitate the hero. Why? Because they are drawn to the admired person for who he is—his sterling character, the “make up” of his being. Yet, as you may relate, this person only seeks to reflect (be like) the hero, after recognizing and understanding who this hero is🤔

In contrast, I see many Christians (whether titled ministers or not) seek the “check list” of do’s and don’ts for performance, while overlooking Who the Hero really is. In 1 John 4:8, it says that God IS love:heart: I believe a big reason why so many people have neglected the faith is because they never understood the sweet fellowship that comes with really knowing God. Rather, they lived in or observed the overwhelming do’s and don’ts and totally missed the One Who Is Love.

Like you have been noticing and experiencing, when a child of God abides in the God Who is true Love, fruit can’t help but grow into righteousness and godliness…and the hunger for more of Him. It is beautiful❤️ 1 John 4 addresses this aspect. 1 John 2:5 and 1 John 5:3 also address that which comes from abiding in the love of Christ. Because God’s child grows in love with Him, he grows in wanting to be like Him and serving Him.

Keeping this in mind, there are also a couple passages of Scripture that address the ways in which God’s Word impacts the hearts of the hearers in a variety of ways. It is Jude 1:21-23 KJV and Ecclesiastes 3:1-8. The Bible talks about how there is a time for everything. These two passages, along with Prophets like Isaiah and Jeremiah, reveal how there were and still are times when ones need to be woken up to the reality of sin and the dangerous destruction it brings. This too is true love and concern. Yet, even these examples portray God urgently giving the “call of repentance” in jealous love (Exodus 34:14). {Note: Jealous—wanting something or someone that rightfully belongs to you, VS. Covetous—wanting something or someone that does not belong to you}

I am not here to try and say whether all of the street preaching methods are correct in their approaches or not. But I do know that God knows the hearts of man and He sees what it takes to stir those various hearts. He knows the best ways to brake up the hardened ground of the multiple kinds of hearers (Matthew 13:3-9).

I am so thankful that God knows how to reach each of us in our individual heart conditions❤️ May we seek to be the right kind of vessels in the Potter’s loving hands (Isaiah 64:8), so that we may be used in the “custom made” ways He sees is most effective.

…And as 1 Corinthians 13:1-2 says, anything that is spoken—no matter how firm or soft it may sound to the ear—is all in vain if it is not said with a sincere heart of love.

Hope these thoughts help.

2 Likes

Thank you for the incredibly thoughtful and loving answer. You’ve opened my eyes, especially with these two verses. The reason I think the most important aspect to preach the first great commandment above all else is made known by 1 John 5:3. Keeping God’s commandments SHOULD NOT feel burdensome, but I think it does indeed feel burdensome to many because they do not yet love God.

But Jude 1:21-23 has revealed to me that fear of eternal torment does indeed have it’s place to reach those who cannot be reached with compassion alone, as much as that breaks my heart to admit.

I pray that every person who ever lived and will ever live will fall in love with God so that all might be saved. I have a feeling this is God’s ultimate intention :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I believe this is so true. The more one is really opened to the love of God, the more that person can grow in love with God and live in service to Him (1 John 4:19 KJV); for God’s love is the fuel that brings forth and enables true life.

Glad it was of help! Keep running the race (Philippians 3:13-14 KJV)!

2 Likes