The name of Christ

One thing i wonder about is the use of the name of Jesus, the scripture which boasts in the power of said name and the fact that that when Christ was alive on Earth, nobody called him by this name. Does this even matter? And what is his original name? Yeshua? Yahawashi?

Just curious is all.

3 Likes

Hello, @Wadlow77 good questions. Jesus’s name in Hebrew is Yeshua (Hebrew יֵשׁוּעַ). Some people believe it is better to call him by this name since this is what would have verbally been said when people talked to him during that time. Here is a quote from a site that explains the name Yeshua and Jesus a bit further.
https://carm.org/jesus-name-really-yeshua

The Greek word for Jesus is Iησοῦς. It is pronounced as “eeaysoos.” When “eeaysoos” was transliterated into the English long ago, it became Jesus–the term we use in English today.

The entire New Testament was written in Greek, and the word Jesus is the word that is used. It is not the Hebrew יֵשׁוּעַ which is Yeshua. So, it is simple. Jesus is properly called Jesus.

One of the reasons you don’t see many call him by his name in the bible is because they used the terms master or rabbi (which means teacher). This is done out of respect for him because he was their Lord. What we call him does matter to an extent because we don’t want Jesus to be confused for someone else nor do we want others thinking that they can change who he said he was. But when it comes to calling upon his name in your language or another that’s not important. One language isn’t better than another and God hears us all the same when we call out to Him for salvation.

In case you want to look deeper into this here are some other sites that go deeper into the name of Jesus. God Bless :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question and will definitely take the time to read over the links you suggested!

Be blessed Luna

2 Likes

Most of the conversations we have in the Bible centered around and involved His Disciples. When they or others addressed Jesus, Yeshua He was usually called Master, or Rabbi but in Luke 17:13 He was addressed as Jesus by the 10 Lepers. They addressed Him these ways as a sign of respect as a great Teacher. I am in Hope’s that Luna and her excellent answer along with this comment helped clear this up for you.
Mike

1 Like