The Nature of the Devil

(Christopher Hulme) #1

I just wanted to make a post on the importance of understanding a little bit about the Devil; since many Christians I run into have a misconception of the attributes of the Devil; due to movies and society.

First off, the Devil was an Archangel… Not is an Archangel; since he willingly fell from the grace and power of God. However, Angels have powers and therefore he still possessed those powers.

Furthermore, since it is previously stated that the Devil is a fallen Archangel he therefore is not omniscient. Meaning he is not all knowing of the future, and he is not able to be everywhere at once (omnipresence).

Lastly, what I am leading up to is that the Devil merely is one fallen Arch angel and he uses his army of demons (also fallen angles, but not archangels) to help him orchestrate the horror and fear of being possessed by demons. Therefore, since the Devil does not possess omnipresence it his army of fallen angels that we all encounter at some point in our lives… Not just the Devil himself. Just food for thought. Because when you understand this you begin to understand that the Devil is not even close to being as powerful as God, and the media is trying to cknvey that he is.

(SeanO) #2

@Cjhulme369 Yes, greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world! It is not 100% clear from Scripture that satan is an angel - but certainly he is some form of created heavenly being. As noted in the below Gospel Coalition article, the passages in Isaiah 14 and Ezekiel 28 may or may not refer to satan. Blessings in the battle!

I John 4:4 - You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

“There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about devils,” C. S. Lewis noted in The Screwtape Letters . “One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them.”

Even though Christians don’t know all the answers, we know the God who does. And we know that “the reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil” (1 John 3:8).

If you’re following King Jesus, take heart. Your enemy was defeated (Col. 2:13–15), he is being defeated (Eph. 6:10–20), and he will be defeated (Rom. 16:20). Yes, he “prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour” (1 Pet. 5:8), but at Jesus’s death he was defanged, and at Jesus’s return he’ll be destroyed.

(Timothy Loraditch) #3

@Cjhulme369 What does it mean when Colossians 2:15 says, “And having disarmed the powers and authorities, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.”?