The Sabbath and the new age (the world to come)

(Jimmy Sellers) #1

Will we continue to observe the sabbath in the new world? Why or why not?

3 Likes
(Tabitha Gallman) #2

@Jimmy_Sellers, I don’t know, but would time still exist in the new world? Good question.

3 Likes
(Jimmy Sellers) #3

Time will be measured, think the tree of life lining the water of life river yielding it’s fruits (12) according to every month. Rev 22:2.

3 Likes
(Tabitha Gallman) #4

Oh wow, I have never noticed that verse. Ok, this blows my mind because time will not measure the same way then because there won’t be day and night since God will be the light. Right? I need to read the thread from a while back concerning time.

3 Likes
(SeanO) #5

@Jimmy_Sellers Isn’t the New Creation one giant Sabbath rest for ever and ever??? :wink: Out of curiosity - what prompted the question? What are your thoughts? Any wisdom from the ANE?

Hebrews 4:8-11 - For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

I always think of Frodo sailing away to the undying lands at the end of “The Return of the King” to find healing from his wounds or Lazarus resting in Abraham’s arms. Home at last!

3 Likes
Do we really want to enter God’s rest when we don’t accept His Holy day when He rested?
(Melvin Greene) #6

Well, that’s a fascinating question, @Jimmy_Sellers! I think there might be. I believe that time existed before the fall when everything was perfect. Since there will be a new heaven and a new earth, then maybe time as well.

2 Likes
(Jimmy Sellers) #7

I was listening to NT Wright’s lecture, Natural Theology and the Missio Dei, he was describing the decent of the new Jerusalem as the dwelling place of God on earth (think a really big Holy of holies) and he said, “there will be no temple just as there will be no sabbath.”
In light of Rev 22:2, that time will me measured I thought that it would be an interesting question to post. I agree with you that that day will be the day the elect will truly know what the Sabbath rest is, moving in day!

1 Like
(Jimmy Sellers) #8

While you noodle on that think why will there be a need for healing the nations.

1 Like
(Tabitha Gallman) #9

@Jimmy_Sellers - I just finished reading Joshua, and I’m thinking maybe that answer could be in chapter 24 when Joshua assembles all the tribes of Israel and renews the covenant? Joshua knew the Israelites were not able to serve the Lord (verse 19).

…“And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.”

I think the leaves will represent the perpetual blessing that will be present for all the nations in the new world. Joshua 24:26 reads: “And Joshua recorded these things in the Book of the Law of God. Then he took a large stone and set it up there under the oak near the holy place of the Lord.”

Is that just mere coincidence or symbolic to the tree of life?

2 Likes