The term "little Jesus", is it in the Bible?

Hello,

I have been listening to some podcast/sermons from different pastors, and every now and then, I hear the term “little Jesus”. I get it that we are to grow to be like Jesus but not too sure about us being referred to as “little Jesus”. I was wondering if this term is found in the Bible in the Hebrew or Greek language?

2 Likes

@adeline.cyl Some people believe this was the meaning of the word ‘Christian’. However, I believe that view is clearly incorrect. The word Christian most likely simply meant follower of Christ.

If we look at Scripture, we see that some pretty amazing things are said about our relationship to Christ. It is said that we are His ambassadors and His body and that one day we will be conformed to His image. C. S. Lewis seems to take these statements to mean that we are to become a ‘little Christ’, not meaning that we shall literally be God, as Christ is, but rather that we shall become like Him in His perfect humanity and relationship with the Father.

If the word is used that way, I do not see any problem with it. However, I do see how this term could be misused or misunderstood.

1 John 3:2 - Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

Romans 8:29 - For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

2 Corinthians 3:18 - And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:27 - Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

2 Corinthians 5:20 - We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.

“Now the whole offer which Christianity makes is this: that we can, if we let God have His way, come to share in the life of Christ. If we do, we shall then be sharing a life which was begotten, not made, which always existed and always will exist. Christ is the Son of God. If we share in this kind of life we also shall be sons of God. We shall love the Father as He does and the Holy Ghost will arise in us. He came to this world and became a man in order to spread to other men the kind of life He has — by what I call “good infection.” Every Christian is to become a little Christ. The whole purpose of becoming a Christian is simply nothing else.” C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

The Word ‘Christian’ - Christianoi

It seems the word Christian most likely simply meant someone who follows Christ, rather than ‘little Christ’.

The name itself is formed on the analogy of “Herodians” (herodiani—the adherents and clients of the house of Herod; Matt 22:16) and caesariani (the servants of Caesar).

2 Likes