Theological Question about the Holy Trinity

Why does Jesus call God Father and why is Jesus called the Son of God? Does this term “Son of God” and “God the Father” between them symbolize the role system of an earthly father and an earthly son to reveal that “the Father” has a higher role than the Son (which does not demise the fact that Jesus is God)? Your thoughts?

5 Likes

I am very interested to hear thoughts on this. I have been in and out of discussions on this topic with my husband, just hashing it out since Jesus is God incarnate. Thanks for asking this question!

2 Likes

I had at the beginning some struggles understanding the trinity, but Nabeel Qureshi helped me understanding. He explains in this video (https://youtu.be/fL2q_Mg-D58) also what you called the “role system”. For me it was very helpful.
What do you think about this video?

2 Likes

This makes perfect sense! Also, I see a lot of misleading translations in different Bibles now. It states in the original text that Jesus was the “only-begotten” son which translate to the Greek word “Monogenes” and this word specifically used as an adjective is to describe a “unique or a one of a kind relationship”, so we can conclude that since we as humans are called the sons and daughters of God and since Jesus is called the true begotten (monogenes) son of God we can easily conclude that Jesus is God as well.

2 Likes

Hi @ljhan40, this is a good question.

I think the terms ‘Father’ and ‘Son’ signify the different roles they take, as you suggest, so you’ll often see the Father appointing the son to do things, and the son obeying. This does not make the son the lesser part of God though. Even in an earthly father-son relationship, there will be different roles with one leading but they both equally share the same essence of humanity. So, both the Father and the Son share the same divine essence, yet are separate persons functioning in different roles. Taking a look at Carm.org, there’s a useful page on just this:

The word “person” is used to describe the three members of the Godhead because the word “person” is appropriate. A person is self aware, can speak, love, hate, say “you,” “yours,” “me,” “mine,” etc. Each of the three persons in the Trinity demonstrate these qualities.

One example of their different roles is the following:

There is, though, an apparent separation of some functions among the members of the Godhead. For example, the Father chooses who will be saved (Eph. 1:4); the Son redeems them (Eph. 1:7); and the Holy Spirit seals them, (Eph. 1:13).

Theologians often talk about ‘ontological‘ Trinity, referring to the equal divine essence of each person, and ‘economic‘ Trinity when discussing how they relate to one another. Another example of their different roles is:

The Father sent the Son (1 John 4:10), the Son came down from heaven not to do his own will but the will of the Father (John 6:38). For a single verse that shows differences in roles, see 1 Pet. 1:2, “According to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, that you may obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood.” You can see that the Father foreknows. The Son became man and sacrificed himself. The Holy Spirit sanctifies the church.

Take a look at the page below for a deeper look into the varying roles of each member of the Trinity. I think you’ll see that all these examples confirm the equal divine nature of each person.

https://carm.org/ontological-and-economic-trinity

I hope that helps a bit :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Beautifully explained sister! God bless you

1 Like

Hello @ljhan40, I think Jesus calls God his father because it is the closest we will be able to understand their relationship. This is something called anthropomorphism. It’s where human descriptions are used to describe non-human things. In this case God. Christ at one point was not human but was still a person of the Trinity and in a loving relationship with the Father. We use these terms to describe that relationship. Just like how we say Christ is the bridegroom and the church is his bride. These descriptions help give an understanding of the relationship.

And yes this does help illustrate Christ’s submission to the Father. Here are some articles on anthropomorphism if you would like to read more about it. God Bless :slight_smile:

https://carm.org/anthropomorphism-god-relates-us-human-terms