Theophanies

Hello
My question is on the Bible character
Melchizedek, who is he?
And is there any physical manifestation of God (Jesus) in the Old Testament??
Thank you

1 Like

There is a very good argument that he was a man
and not a theophany. Here is a link to a recent discussion on connect.

Give it a read and add some comments.

2 Likes

I believe the alter of Malchizedek has been found. Very interesting history there, I recommend looking it up.

1 Like

Hi @ElD3nnis, as far as I’m aware, there are several physical manifestations of Jesus in the OT. There are many stories where God appears to individuals and my reason to believe that they’re actually Jesus manifesting are the following reasons:

John 1:18 says “No man has ever seen God”. Likewise we are told in exodus 33:20 “you cannot see my face, for no one can see me and live”. It is clear no human can look at God and live.

Genesis 32:30 shows us that after Jacob wrestled with the stranger all night he realised it was God “indeed, I have seen God face to face and yet my life was spared”. Similarly, In exodus 3:2 it says “the angel of the Lord appeared to Moses in flames of fire from within a bush” and in verse 4 it says “God called to him from within the bush”. There are several more instances that I could talk about: Exodus 14:19-20, exodus 24:9-11 etc.

If man cannot look on God and live, yet these people looked on God, how can that be? I take this to mean man cannot look at God the Father and live. However, it was Jesus who showed himself through the OT. I also base this on what Jesus said himself in John 14:9 “if you have see me you have seen the Father”.