There is nothing God cannot do...?

The statement, ‘There is nothing God cannot do.’ is fallacious.

The character of God, depicted in the Bible, is specific. God is immutable, He CANNOT change, God CANNOT lie, God CANNOT tempt anyone, God CANNOT violate a person’s free will.

Hey David, just food for thought: Is God unable or unwilling to do those things, or both? And how would you solidify that reasoning? Also, you mentioned that God cannot violate a person’s free will? I am not quite convinced that God cannot override someone’s free will, if in fact, they have abandoned their “free-will” to sin. For example, if someone is ultimately going to choose to refuse God eternally, then I don’t see a problem with God setting apart that person as a vessel for wrath, since it wouldn’t have mattered anyway. Thoughts?

1 Like

First, let’s agree that God is unchangeable. There are several passages in the Bible saying this. Num 23:19 "God us not a man, that He should lie; neither the son of man that He should repent: hath He said, and shall He not do it? or hath He spoken, and He shall not make it good? "
According to this, if God speaks, it is truth and will not change. He has no need if repentance because He cannot sin.

Mal 3:6 “For I am the Lord, I change not . . .”

God does not change. If He could, how could we trust anything the Bible says? Once God says a thing, He will/can not change it.

2 Tim 2:13 "If we believe not, yet He abideth faithful: He cannot deny Himself. "

Even if you choose not to accept my words and believe, God us still true to himself!

Heb 6:17&18 “Wherein God, willing more abundantly to show into the heirs if promise the immutability if His counsel, confirmed it by an oath: that by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation . . .”

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. "

No variableness: variable means changeable, no change, no turning with God.

In Gen 1:26 " . . .let them have dominion over . . .all the earth . . ."

Dominion means ‘rule’. In my dictionary, the definition for ‘rule’ is about three paragraphs long. Essentially it’s the authority to make decisions concerning whatever you are ruling. In this case, the whole earth. Now man is part of the earth, so man has rule over himself, free will. Once God says a thing He will not change it. What changed is that in chapter 3 in the story of the ‘fall’ Adam gave dominion, rule, over to Satan. 1John 3:8 “The Son if God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.”

One if the works of the devil was taking dominion from Man. Jesus’ work on the cross reversed that.

God being perfect good cannot tempt man to do evil, it just isn’t there to offer.

God being perfect good cannot allow evil in his presence, which is why Satan and his followers had to leave Heaven, cannot BE tempted. Man can try, and OFFER, evil to God, but it will not touch God, in fact He’s liable to be offended by any such attempt.

Man, however, still has his free will. Though God will/can not tempt to evil, He CAN and does beg and plead for us to follow His Son, Jesus. Our free will allows us the option to refuse, but when that happens, Gid, also being perfectly just, must allow us to face the consequences of such refusal, up to and including Hell.

So then God would be immutable because he is unable (not in a negative connotation). There is no will to change because in order for there to be a will to change there must precede the nature to change.

Did Jesus’ work on the cross reverse the dominion for all people in general or merely provide the potential for those people- that potential of being released from sin having to be made actual by accepting salvation and following Christ. It would seem that only those who have accepted (the elect) are the ones who are freed from the chains of sin, becoming slaves to righteousness.

This follows into the fact that anyone who is a slave to sin, and will eternally be enslaved to it from God’s perspective (as not being part of the elect), has forfeited any sense of free will. Since a true definition of free will, according to Gods nature, is to only be able to “choose between the range of goods”. Thus, like the example Paul gives in Romans of pharaoh being a vessel set aside for wrath, this is why God cannot violate a will that does not exist because once surrendered to sin forever, it is not a will anymore.

Thoughts?

Christ’s work on the cross took dominion our of Satan’s hands. Dominion is now in the hands of Jesus Christ. Man, still having free will per my last comment, could choose whether to follow Jesus or Satan. If one chooses Jesus, one partakes of dominion under the authority of Jesus. Matt 28:18.
If one refuses Christ, he/she loses any part in that dominion.

If God knows our choice in whether to accept or reject him, then is it possible that we “could” do otherwise? If God’s foreknowledge is contingent upon our actions prior to the foundation of the world, then there is no other option that one “could choose” otherwise between Jesus or Satan. This does not eliminate choice itself, but it eliminates the option to “choose otherwise” because that would mean that God knew something different, which in turn, would steer us right back to the inevitability of that being the choice that one would have made all along. We can escape a strict determinism (absence of the will), but we cannot escape the choice that is “determined” from our will (presence of the will); this is known as “compatibilism”. If we reject this notion, then we will impugn God’s foreknowledge as not knowing the future. A route I don’t think we want to take. If we can agree to this then I can elaborate on the other points I was trying to make. What say you?

1 Like

I say I do not pretend to understand the infinite realities of God and His realm. I do not know what is possible with God.

Until we pass from our 3 dimensional existence into God’s infinite existence, I don’t believe any deeper discussion would be fruitful.

I can respect that, God bless :smile: