This Phrase from Jesus Shows the Reality of the Cross

Dr. Amy Orr-Ewing considers how Jesus’ words on the cross, “I thirst,” (John 19:28) point to a God who loves us deeply, so deeply that He Himself came and entered into our physical reality to endure the physical pain of the cross in order that we might clearly see how much God loves us.

Jesus actually suffers in His body for us

A part of God demonstrating His love is that He’s willing to enter our physical world to suffer, to die, and to thirst

[Jesus] endures the spiritual pain, carrying the burdens of the sins of the world, but He does it in the physical world. And He does it to demonstrated Gods’ love for us who live in the physical, material world.

For Your Consideration:

• Do you see God’s love for you in Christ’s suffering?

• How can we share how Christ enters into our suffering with our suffering world?

5 Likes

Yes @jspare I do. What amazes me the most is that he has choose to live inside me, thus sharing in all my suffering. Christ in me, the hope of my glory, and so much more.

We can tell others the good news for it is written in Romans 10:14-15

"But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? And how will anyone go and tell them without being sent? That is why the Scriptures say, “How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news!”

5 Likes

Hi Joshua

Thanks for your questions reflecting on Dr. Amy Orr-Ewing’s video. I would first agree with @brianlalor that it is amazing that Christ lives inside of me, which means Christ chooses to suffer with me through my suffering. Jesus hasn’t done His job, suffered and died on the Cross, and then watches at a distance through our suffering, but continues to partake in it with us.

Christ’s suffering shows the degrees that His love is willing to go. It is boundless! Which means I can have peace and rest in the security of His never failing love. I think for Christians, having God’s peace and assurance through our own sufferings is also a testament to the world of what Christ offers to each of our lives. We may still have to go through hard times, but Jesus will be right there with us :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes