Thoughts on dealing with grief

Hi,
I would just like to say a word of thanks for the uplifting articles you write. I especially appreciate you sharing thoughts on the loss of your dad. My dad passed four years ago, and I found much comfort in the encouraging words you shared. I believe God helped me find the ministry of RZIM at just the right time, because I was longing for something to fill the part of me that felt empty. Thanks again and may God richly bless you and RZIM.

2 Likes

Hi Michele,

Wow, thank YOU for these words. This kind of note goes a long way. Thank you for taking the time to write. Grief is complex, isn’t it. Just last night I had a dream in which I began questioning where my father was.(My wife and I just had our fourth child last month.) In the dream I began to wonder, ‘where is dad. He should be here right now. He is missing out on this important moment.’ I woke up with those thoughts in my mind. I wanted to tell my dad about this news. But just as fast as those dreaming thoughts confronted my awakened state, I remembered: ‘I haven’t seen dad because he has died.’ In this case, it was not sadness that enveloped me as much as an explanation of my father’s absence.

And yet there is no stronger hope I have but in the truth, beauty, comfort, everlasting love, and life of Jesus. I find myself constantly echoing the words of Jesus’ friends: “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.”

I am not sure if you have ever heard this song, but this song by Tenth Avenue North has ministered to me, particularly as I think about the loss of my father: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjetZn5lrBc

Thank you again for your warm note.
Nathan

Thanks for those words. I had a similar experience a few days ago and for a moment expected him to be there. It’s kind of confusing. I try to focus on the hope of heaven and also that Christ is with us in suffering. This I have learned to understand better through the resources at RZIM. I appreciate the song. Good music and beautiful words help so much, because they keep on living. Henry W. Longfellow said in “The Arrow And The Song”, “…The song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.” God bless you.