Tithes

(Alexander Marozhe) #1

Why is the Law on Tithes as given in Deuteronomy 14 verses 22 to the end not preached and/or taught?

1 Like
(SeanO) #2

@Alexander_Marozhe The law of tithes as written in Deuteronomy 14 was specific to God’s covenant with Israel and its purpose was to provide for the priests, who had no other way to make a living because they were serving God. We are under the New Covenant in Christ Jesus and are no longer required to obey this Old Covenant command. However, that does not mean we give less! It meas we give joyfully and sacrificially as the Holy Spirit leads us and just as Jesus has given Himself for us. The New Testament calls us not only to give a portion of our goods, but to give our very lives as a sacrifice - to lose our life that we may find it in Jesus :slight_smile:

Matthew 16:25 - For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

Romans 12:1 - Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.

Galatians 5:24 - Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.

I have heard sermons on Malachi and on giving to the Lord in the Churches I have attended. But rather than teaching to give one tenth, which was an Old Covenant command, they taught that we are to give as we have received from the Lord, as each is able.

Here are some threads you may find helpful. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

3 Likes
(Alexander Marozhe) #3

Lucre is the reason why the Sanhedrin fought the Lord Jesus Christ from day one.The high priests were benefiting materially in the old dispensation.
The church of the Acts of the Apostles is not evident in the present day church which again is ruled by the same Sanhedrin spirit.
Tithes and offerings are very key in the present day church which should not be the case.Ministries belong to individuals.
Surely this cannot be correct.

ANM

(SeanO) #4

@Alexander_Marozhe I agree that, as Jesus said, the religious leaders were indeed seeking money. But do you think it is fair to say that the whole Church has a Sanhedrin spirit? Have you been to Churches where you saw a spirit of generosity and love? What were they like?

1 Like