Tithes

Why is the Law on Tithes as given in Deuteronomy 14 verses 22 to the end not preached and/or taught?

2 Likes

@Alexander_Marozhe The law of tithes as written in Deuteronomy 14 was specific to God’s covenant with Israel and its purpose was to provide for the priests, who had no other way to make a living because they were serving God. We are under the New Covenant in Christ Jesus and are no longer required to obey this Old Covenant command. However, that does not mean we give less! It meas we give joyfully and sacrificially as the Holy Spirit leads us and just as Jesus has given Himself for us. The New Testament calls us not only to give a portion of our goods, but to give our very lives as a sacrifice - to lose our life that we may find it in Jesus :slight_smile:

Matthew 16:25 - For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

Romans 12:1 - Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.

Galatians 5:24 - Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.

I have heard sermons on Malachi and on giving to the Lord in the Churches I have attended. But rather than teaching to give one tenth, which was an Old Covenant command, they taught that we are to give as we have received from the Lord, as each is able.

Here are some threads you may find helpful. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Lucre is the reason why the Sanhedrin fought the Lord Jesus Christ from day one.The high priests were benefiting materially in the old dispensation.
The church of the Acts of the Apostles is not evident in the present day church which again is ruled by the same Sanhedrin spirit.
Tithes and offerings are very key in the present day church which should not be the case.Ministries belong to individuals.
Surely this cannot be correct.

ANM

@Alexander_Marozhe I agree that, as Jesus said, the religious leaders were indeed seeking money. But do you think it is fair to say that the whole Church has a Sanhedrin spirit? Have you been to Churches where you saw a spirit of generosity and love? What were they like?

3 Likes

Starting with the so called Mother Church,the Vatican,very wealthy but,always asking for money.Number of congregants in today’s church translate to more offerings and that is understood to mean a Successful Ministry.

Hi, @Alexander_Marozhe! Can you help me understand the church context you’re coming from? Sounds like it’s very prosperity-driven.

2 Likes

Had to read again the original question and I think it deserves to be explored some more. The teaching on tithe is prevalent in today’s churches. And if we compare today’s teachings on the tithe, it is quite different from what we read in the OT law. So maybe I should echo the original question, why aren’t we teaching the OT law on tithes? If we speak of sacrificial giving, I think the OT law on tithing does give us a good standard to set the bar.

Correct.

ANM

Alexander,

I love the answer that @SeanO provided previously. In actually, he is probably one of the few that I have seen express the view that the “tithe” was fulfilled through Christ’s sacrifice, BUT it does not exonerate those within the body of achy from being charitable. In actually, and my humble opinion, Christ’s sacrifice requires or rather should compel us to give above and beyond the “tithe” bit should actually be referred to as a tenth.

A nerd fact that I learned: a true tithe is greater that the “tenth” somewhere close to 22% if you did the math properly. As @SeanO stated, those monies (which a true tithe wasn’t always money) were to sustain the priesthood who could not have a vocation because theirs was to keep the fire of the temple burning.

I’ll do like Ravi, if you will and give you a story, and by no means am I I’m the category as he is at present but this was a question as to how I would implement giving within our ministry. My wife and I planted four years ago—it’s been a challenge but rewarding too. I went with the premise that the legal aspect of the tithe was fulfilled and not require a tithe but believed that if I taught the word with passion, in its true sense, with authority, with true Christ’s character and with the right motive the people would give. Well, two things: we have not lacked for anything and the people really didn’t act out the strategy I thought would work but it stretched my wife and I. The principle of giving cheerfully changed is more than them. However, we began to see the fruit of it changing a few others.

I can’t speak for the “prosperity gospel” preachers and I could tell you some horrific stories but don’t focus on them too much. Paul said in Philippians 1:18 “But that doesn’t matter. Whether their motives are false or genuine, the message about Christ is being preached either way, so I rejoice.”

I understand the context of this scripture being that Paul was suffering for the Gospels sake. However, the principle of the text remains. Is it right? Probably, not but we must trust that the Sovereignty of God rules over all and His cosmic strategy for His creation to get us to turn back to Him.

Now I am not Ravi or his eloquent apologetic staff but I hope what I have shared helped. It’s not a complete answer but what I have to offer you that can possibly assist you.

Kingdom Blessings!
RaSheed

Thank you for sharing.I think I understand the purport of your text.
True,giving is always better than receiving.Scriptures teach us to give cheerfully and not because you are fulfilling a law.
Consider the scriptures that say Whatsoever you do to these,the least of my brothers,that you do unto me’.These words came from our LORD JESUS CHRIST OF NAZARETH.I want to believe that,following these words,one ends up giving much more than a tenth.
The Great Commission does not say a tithe has to be collected.I want to believe that YAHWEH would cause his people to give generously to those that bring the GOSPEL and give in a manner that is different from fulfilling a law.
I hope you see where I am coming from.The new dispensation does not instruct GOSPEL preachers to solicit for funds from people instead,people give as the SPIRIT leads them.

ANM

1 Like

Alexander,

Absolutely!! I don’t see where we vehemently disagree on a point. Well, let me be transparent and say this as best as I can; the bottom line is that it not about money ultimately. I remember Ravi Zacharias remaining us in one of his awesome stories it’s a matter of us understanding the darkness of our own heart and knowing (further understanding) that we too need salvation.

I say that to say this, and this is a lesson I personally learned, we can not hide behind scripture or use it to fit a narrative just because we have the freedom to partake in that narrative. In other words l, sometimes we get angry or are displeased with others because of what they are or not doing because it is a personal spirit struggle of our own. Many hide or use the Word to excuse them from not doing exactly what it says.

Last story, I promise. It’s like this. A person who has a house and a mortgage pays that mortgage. All the while you are still responsible for paying that mortgage and it’s upkeep. Then one day someone (a stranger) out of the blue pays your mortgage off. You’re free and clear of that mortgage, so are you free and clear of its upkeep just because it’s paid off. Neither does the fact that the Morris paid off negate that the Mortgage was ever there, it’s paid off but your still responsible and have responsibilities with the house. In fact you have more room (financially) to make bigger and better improvements so its value continues to increase.

When it comes to giving, though Christ paid it all, we still have a responsibility and we must continue to give but it’s not about the money, it’s the type or kind of heart you give with. It does not give me the Purdue to judohow someone else does it but it is more important to judge myself in how (and how much depending on the person and situation) in how One gives it.

“Remember: A stingy planter gets a stingy crop; a lavish planter gets a lavish crop. I want each of you to take plenty of time to think it over, and make up your own mind what you will give. That will protect you against sob stories and arm-twisting. God loves it when the giver delights in the giving.”
-‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭9:7‬‬
https://www.bible.com/97/2co.9.7.msg

If Yeshua mean that much and you recognize all that he has done, and one with clean hand and a pure heart (of flesh) would be compelled to give ALL!

Kingdom Blessings!
RaSheed

In my experiences within my church, we don’t dodge the topic of tithing and money.
We’ve become comfortable with the reality that it takes money to pay the bills of our church, including salaries of the staff, utilities etc. We also are cognizant of the realities of not so local ways to serve auch as missions. We understand that there is no “sugar daddy”, or some “head office” will come to the rescue of our church and Christian responsibility.

The Old Testament is rife with stories of grace and commandments that guide us as to how we live. We’ve learned and continue to relearn that our job is to be faithful and look to the scriptures for guidance and direction

My personal prayer really is for the Church to move away from the “tithe”. I think we all understand that the Ministry needs funds in order to operate and I believe that it is enough for the average Christian to understand that his/her donation/contribution is important. In fact it is his/her participation in the ministry. The amount of giving reflects the amount of willingness to participate in the Ministry. Although this is not a straight rule because there are other things to consider, especially when a person goes through financial challenges, this rule cannot apply. In our church we always say we only lift one name here and that is the name of Jesus. But I see another name that we lift up and that is the Tithe. People think that the tithe has power and some become afraid to “touch” the tithe. I think this is religiosity, idolatry even. This is a big prayer concern for me.

Yes,people of GOD know the Church needs money to run efficiently and it’s a responsibility we cannot run away from.
The way the tithe has been preached sends wrong messages generally.It’s like you must pay your tithes or else…which is incorrect.We give as the SPIRIT leads.As people of Faith we accept responsibility.
Best regards.

ANM