To Protest Or Not to Protest?

(Warner Joseph Miller) #1

Hey there beautiful people! Hope all is well and as it should be wherever in the world you may find yourself, today.

So…given the times we find ourselves in – both nationally and internationally – and given the current social, political and even ecclesiastical climate of the world…is public protest ever a legitimate tool and justified means of conduct for the Christian? And by protest, I mean the classical definition: an expression or declaration of objection, disapproval, or dissent, often in opposition to something a person is powerless to prevent or avoid.

I would love and would greatly appreciate all your thoughts and reasonings. Thx, a bunch and God’s every blessing!:v:t6:

(C Rhodes) #2

@WarnerMiller. Given the history of the church and even the way Christ sometimes conducted himself, public protest has its place. However, a dilemma can occur when we align ourselves with the angry, disrespectful expressions of our day. Public protesting is negated when we encounter other voices that would use our participation to further unrighteous or hateful causes.

In my mind’s eye, I can see the civil rights protest that utilized nonviolence. I think any public protest that cast dispersion on another human would defeat the purpose of protesting. We protest for change not for the destruction of a perceived enemy or political opposition. Hand in hand the protest should provide a remedy for the oppressed and the oppressor.

Commited is a commitment we should do so understanding that our protest may be view as unlawful. We should protest with a willingness to go peacefully to jail. I learned that from one of my Uncles who was a conscious objector to killing during the war. His willingness to pay an ultimate price led him into a great ministry behind bars.

When I was younger the members of my congregation would gather in “shut-ins” to petition Heaven for change or deliverance. I was allowed to march for fair housing but only until the march passed the street we lived on. Then we had to go home and take naps. We had Sunday evening services.

I guess my short answer is, march with purpose and solution for both sides or stay home. The world does not need the voice of the church added to the melee. Even if they think we should.

(Tabitha Gallman) #3

This is a tough topic because I think it becomes very personal. I can only speculate that if my family’s way of life were being threatened by an immoral act of someone else(or if someone else is treated in an egregious manner who cannot defend themselves) I would be moved to protest and hopefully others would as well. (Along this thought I am reminded of the Nazi regime under the influence of Hitlar.)

On the other hand I am reminded of all those martyred for the sake of their beliefs. I do believe as a sister to those who are persecuted, my strongest way to protest is to pray.

(Anthony Costello ) #4

@WarnerMiller

Hmm, very interesting question. I would make two points right off the bat:

1. What is the core content or message of the protest in view, and can that content be supported within the framework of a historical, Christian worldview? As an example, I would see a protest against Racism as being supportable (desirable) from a historical, Christian worldview, but a protest in favor of Pansexual sexual freedom, as not being supportable from a historical Christian worldview.

2. With regard to what might be a legitimate and biblically supportable protest, I might ask “what am I doing locally (e.g. in my own home, my own church, and my local community) that is also advancing this biblically justified cause?” In other words, I like the notion of thinking globally, but acting locally. As Christians the locus of our moral endeavors for justice has to start right at home, and, in fact, right in our own hearts. So, I would say right relationship with God, healthy relationships at home, and healthy friendships and local relationships at church, school and work, should be necessary conditions before we engage in larger projects or expressions of Social Justice.

Hope that helps; more later.

in Christ,
Anthony