To what extent does the concept of structural evil fit within the Christian worldview?

@Kasey_Leander, thank you for answering our questions this week! In my recent studies about justice and equality, I’m finding frequent references to structural evil. To what extent does the concept of structural evil fit within the Christian worldview?

According to Wikipedia (please forgive my less-than-desirable source), “structural evil or systemic evil is evil which arises from structures within human society, rather than from individual wickedness or religious conceptions such as original sin.” The Wikipedia article also mentioned Rousseau as one of the early thinkers who addressed this concept, linking it to his belief that humans are naturally good but are corrupted by society.

When the phrase “structural evil” is used in today’s culture, does it still carry these ideas? If so, is there a better way for us to communicate about the need for righteous laws?

Hi @Jennifer_Wilkinson -

I’m a few days late, but definitely wanted to make sure I answered your question! What a vital element to our moral/political conversations right now. Hope this is helpful, eager to hear your thoughts.

2 Likes