Too much of a good thing

Whenever you do something a lot, it begins to get old and not as exciting/fun (for example if you ate icecream after every meal it wouldn’t be as good to you as if you just have it once every few months when going out with friends). Do you think we will ever get tired or get used to Jesus? More specifically, worship. In heaven we will be worshipping Jesus forever. I can not fully understand this because humans comprehend things within constraints of time but God is outside time and space.

7 Likes

@Sgpage Great question! Kind of like the idea that absence makes the heart grow fonder. I think part of the answer is that the pleasure and joy of God is not like the pleasure and joy of this world. Even in the Old Testament, David contrasts the joy he has in God with the joy people have who have all of the good things of this life. Jesus tells the woman at the well that He is living water, as Jeremiah said God is living water. This world, on its own, is a cracked cistern. But Christ Himself is living water.

Some additional thoughts on Heaven and why it will not be boring below. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

Psalms 4:7 - You have put gladness in my heart, More than when their grain and new wine abound.

“Thou hast made us for thyself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee.” Augustine

Jeremiah 2:13 - My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me,
the spring of living water,
and have dug their own cisterns,
broken cisterns that cannot hold water.

John 4:13-14 - Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

1 - Heaven is not a disembodied existence - the Scriptures promise a resurrected body in a New Heavens and Earth. We will still eat food, dance, sing and many believe even have culture and civilization. Heaven is not about doing nothing - it is a new creation without the brokenness of sin, where we can labor without toil and rejoice without the threat of sorrow.
2 - If God created this world in which we have so much joy, why would we think Him incapable of creating a new world with much more joy in the absence of suffering?
3 - Where did all of the things we enjoy - friendship, romantic love, meaningful labor - come from? They came from God - every good and perfect gift comes down from the father of lights (James 1:17). Heaven will be the absence of evil and the presence of every good thing!
4 - God’s presence itself is joy - a deep and abiding joy that is beyond speaking of or understanding.

And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before. C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle

“I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now…Come further up, come further in!” C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle

4 Likes

I was just having this discussion with my sister yesterday! I can’t add to what @SeanO has already given us. I just wanted to pop in and thank you for raising this topic as I am gleaning from the discussion and getting great insight to the very questions I posed to my sister yesterday.
I am smiling because I don’t believe in coincidences. Can’t wait to share this with her :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

@Sgpage Sadie I’ve got to say how much I’ve enjoyed the questions you posed! It says how thoughtful, intellectual and genuine you are. I can tell God’s gonna use you in the years to come.

-Well, you are right. Eternity does sound like a long time. But God actually created us to live forever. There’s a longing in our hearts for more. We act as if we are going to live forever, even atheists. At least the mentally healthy of us.

He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man’s heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.
Ecclesiastes 3:11

But we have grown with this Sunday School idea that Heaven is a place with lots and lots of clouds. We are probably floating along with our mini-harps and singing like in an acapella sound. While that is actually a bit denoted in revelations, it is not all what we are going to do. In fact:

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words, whose voice is not heard. Their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world.
Psalms 19:1‭-‬4

Praise isn’t just about singings hymns. We praise God by who we are. Just as a father who is proud of his children not because they say nice about him, but because they are ‘his children’.

-Isn’t it interesting that John describes meeting Jesus in the second coming as The Marriage supper of the Lamb and the church as a bride? Just as a man and woman fall in love with each other, decide to get engaged and then get married. I suppose they don’t say to each other at the end of the wedding, “Well, this was fun. See ya”. The wedding is not the end, it’s beginning of their lives together. The new heavens and earth is not the finishline for our race on earth, it’s just the beginning. We are not completely one with Christ here on earth by accepting him. But we have entered into this process and every day brings us closer to this union. Just like an engagement period.

-I absolutely agree with Sean. In fact, I highly anticipate there will be cultures and civilizations. Our history won’t be wiped away. The bible at several times mentions that we will ‘rule’:

And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.
Revelation 22:5

If we have died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him;
2 Timothy 2:11‭-‬12

But also, Jesus tells the disciples that they will be judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
Luke 22:29‭-‬30
Pauls takes it further to say:

Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life!
1 Corinthians 6:2‭-‬3

And so many many verses that takes about how we will be glorified with Christ. I mean He doesn’t look bored to me.

5 Likes