Transferal of curses…

(Jean Daniel Slabbert) #1

I was involved in a conversation with a friend of mine’s father this weekend. He is a believer involved in a number of ministries in Pretoria (South Africa) where I live.

We were a group of about 5 men in this conversation. Many of who are relatively new to faith, or at least to having a personal relationship with Christ. One of these men who are relatively new to faith, phoned me after the conversation and asked me questions regarding some of the things the old man said. One comment in particular stood out to him and left him, and me for that matter, with some questions.

The old man said, “If you give, whether to an individual, church or any institution, and that person that you give to has a curse on his/her life, then that curse is immediately transferred to you”.

The point he tried to make was that you need to give in response to guidance from the Holy Spirit. It was not about what that person would use the money you give him/her for, but rather whether you should have given in the first place. Personally, I agree with giving when I feel led by the Holy Spirit, but I am uncertain about the curse transference?

He created, unintentionally I believe, a lot of fear in some of the men in the conversation. I believe that through the blood of Christ, no weapon formed against me will prosper. I am fully aware of the existence of the spiritual realm and that there are consequences to doing anything outside the will of God. But he spoke of bloodline curses being transferred to you and your family, even if you only give with the best intentions some of your change to “a cursed individual” who is living on the street begging for food.

I’m seeking guidance on how to respond to these questions from my friend please? Thank you

(Andrew Bulin) #2

Is there something cultural that these men are allowing themselves to be enslaved by? Or have they found a biblical connection anywhere? I would probably take time probing them to discover the basis of the belief.

The Bible instructs us to share:

Hebrews 13:15-16 NASB
[15] Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name. [16] And do not neglect doing good and sharing, for with such sacrifices God is pleased

God does not submit to curses and His covenant with His people is greater than that. I would look into verses of truth that speak against the characteristics of this belief and the culture that it is born out of, and then just keep pointing to the truth.

I pray that the Spirit opens their eyes and emboldens them to treat the following as the greater truth over their lives…

2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV)
7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

(LaTricia January) #3

That isn’t something found in Christian doctrine and more than likely has something to do with traditional religion/superstition. I have heard similar things about curses and such here in the US, but that doesn’t make it true even when they are coming from people who are active in the church. We are instructed by Christ to help one another, and Paul teaches us to be kind to our brothers and sisters in faith as well as to those who are not of faith. To believe that because we give to an organization or person who is supposed to be cursed then we are cursed is to not honor the power found in the resurrection of Christ and to also believe a gospel other than the gospel of Christ because He came to set us free from such beliefs (lies).

Jesus encourages us to take care of the poor because the poor will always be among us. Why would our Lord tell us to do something that would be detrimental to us? Would such a thing be in alignment with His character?

(Jimmy Sellers) #4

I would tend to talk to him along the lines of @andrew.bulin there has to be an underlying reason outside of the Bible.
It sort of reminds me of quotes that at attributed to scripture only to find out that they are just common sayings.

“The Lord helps those who help themselves.” Sounds good just not in the Bible.

(Jean Daniel Slabbert) #5

Thank you all for you feedback on this! I couldn’t agree more on your views. I will communicate your thoughts with my friend as well.

As to the cultural nuances that might be present:
I’m sure you would know something about South African history and the Apartheid era? One thing many people do not know, is how far reaching the government of the time’s power stretched. The three BIG church denominations at the time pushed a religious doctrine that brainwashed people at that time into justifying their racism and believing that the Afrikaner is God’s (only) chosen people. Some went as far as adding parts to the Bible to justify these views. That sadly still has many of the older generation brainwashed into this thinking :cry:

My friend’s father was very involved in one of these denominations (or “abominations” to copy one of Ravi’s jokes) when he was younger, but broke away when the church condemned him for being baptized as an adult (yes, people were not allowed to be baptized as adults…:confounded:). I believe the transference of curse thinking could be based from that first background.

Thanks again for all your inputs

(Andrew Bulin) #6

Wow, that sounds challenging. I knew of some of the history and ties to paganism, but not the denominational struggles. I’m so glad that God is a restorer of truth. I pray for your patience and wisdom in these matters, and that they will listen and trust Him as their hearts are pointed to the truth and away from these notions.

(Jean Daniel Slabbert) #7

Amen! Thank you @andrew.bulin

(Lorna Abwonji) #8

Hi @Jean I have read through the comments and i dont think I really have much to add as all has been said but I do get you with how culture can confuse people about truth. Being an African myself I get it cause I see people going out of their way to do things that are not Biblically sound to get “protection” simply because its based on culture. And if one has grown up believing it its difficult to unlearn but it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
Be encouraged, God is working, when things like these are revealed, chains are being broken.
:blush::blush::blush: