Transgender Christian?

Can a celibate, transgendered person still be a follower of Christ? Or has my child been mired in the world’s philosophy to the point of no return? He still thinks he is acting in God’s will.

1 Like

Hi, @Marta_Brow-Hampton! Thank you so much for bringing this timely question to our community. (P.S. I moved it to it’s own thread so that we could get a little more visibility for it. :slight_smile: )

The answer I would give to your question…

Can a celibate, transgendered person still be a follower of Christ?

…is a resounding, ‘yes’! I don’t know if or how much you’ve spoken with him about this, but I can’t encourage you enough to try to understand where he’s coming from. I can only imagine that this has been an extremely confusing and, perhaps, painful process for him…and, no doubt, you.

Am I correct in assuming that he is a biological male who identifies as a woman? I’d be curious what it’s been like for him to come to terms with his ‘female-ness’…and does he relate at all to his ‘male-ness’? What led him to believe that he’s transgender?

As I understand it, there are a number of things that are crashing together. There’s sex, which is a biological term that relates to chromosomes and genitalia. Then there’s gender, which is a psychological term that has to do with how one relates to one’s sex. In the TG experience, there is a dissonance between psychological and biological realities.

This may be a massive oversimplification, but there are a number of different levels on which we can be engaging. Who knows what can emerge in the process of coming to terms with his experience.

Don’t surrender him to the world’s philosophy; love him deeply. Accept what needs to be accepted and challenge what needs to be challenged.

Dr. Mark Yarhouse, Director of the Sexual & Gender Identity Institute and professor of psychology at Wheaton, is one of the leading scholars in this field, if you’re interested in reading some of his stuff.

1 Like

Here’s a link to one of his articles from Christianity Today that helped me understand the issue from a couple of different angles. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Marta,
Thank you for bringing your question to Connect. This is such an important and current topic in this time.
I recently finished the “What does it Mean to be Human?” course on the RZIM academy. In that course we were blessed with the bonus video on the topic of God and the transgender presented by Vince Vitale and Ravi Zacharias. Their response was truly beautiful and applicable to the struggle and the reality of the struggle. God bless you as you love your child and seek God in the ways to walk in Truth!

1 Like