Travis

Hello, I’m from Scotland, born and raised in South Africa. I saw an advert on tv inviting me to connect and ask questions. I am a Christin that has battled with uncertainty for many many years, as an INFJ personality type I am all or nothing so when I see I’m not perfect I question my salvation. I have a firm grasp on the gospel so I feel I could point to scriptures to help answer questions. But I have questions I would like scriptural answers to.

6 Likes

Hello Travis.
I am so glad to hear that a television advert lead you to join Connect. A big welcome to you @TravisBritnor. I love South Africa and hope the kingdom of God is advancing over there? RZIM Connect is a place to share, and ask your questions and testimonies. We consider each question and contribution as a gift and a blessing to the community. We respect your thoughts and idea so be free to ask any question here. It is amazing to see how scriptures can answer our questions and ths is what we absolutely enjoy because the Bible is our ultimate guide in connect.

Be sure to find time and explore and engage the community. And also join the conversation.
Welcome and congratulations!
Grace and Peace

1 Like

Hello Travis, welcome aboard! glad you decided to connect.
None of us is perfect but our God is! and His grace is sufficient for us, His power is made perfect in our weakness (2 Cor 12:9). Don’t be discouraged. :slight_smile:

Be blessed!

Budi

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome, South Africa is going through a difficult time at the moment and there seams to be on a spiritual decline. With threats by a political leader against a pastor, the pastor has had to cancel several events in order to keep people safe. We left South Africa for our safety as well.

2 Likes

Hi Budicw, thank you for the welcome and message. The thing I am struggling with is Suffering and joy… as an INFJ personality type I strive for perfection, I see all the details and the big picture at the same time and everything needs to fit together like a puzzle. The Bible does this, even if you look at it from a strictly rational, fact and data point of view or historical evidence point of view it works. Where I am struggling is with suffering… I feel guilty when I’m happy because the bible says I should be suffering, so can you imagine how as a perfectionist, how over the years I have perfected the art of suffering (Which doesn’t feel good, but I want to be obedient to the Word)… here are a few scriptures that will give what I’m saying context.
Matthew 5:3-4
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.
Matthew 5:11
11 Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.
Romans 8:17
and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
1 John 2:15
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1 Peter 4:1-2
Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God
1 Peter 4:12-17
Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. But let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer or as a meddler. Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name. For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

These are only a few scriptures but I think they will give you a little context to what I’m struggling with.

The motivation for my questioning is just that I am exhausted of struggling, living my life feeling guilty to spend time with my kids because they bring me joy, or feeling guilty for playing on my xbox because I just need a distraction from my chore list of suffering, or feeling guilty for enjoying good food because that goes against what I feel is required of me to be saved.

I must be obedient to the Word, I must lay down my life, but I’m tired and broken.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard @TravisBritnor. Oh I pray that the Lord grant you peace on this. Come to me all ye who labor . . . are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. I pray that the knowledge of your calling is granted to you. You are called to be with your family . . . pray for assurance. You are called to rest in your positive distractions. . . pray for assurance. The Lord in the passages you referenced intended to provide hope for those who were suffering. He came to give us life and to give us life in its abundance. Come along side us. We will continue to pray for your balance and peace. Consider taking the core module and then Why Suffering, an elective. I promise you that both will bless your path. https://www.rzim.org/page/academy-core-module and https://www.rzim.org/page/academy-why-suffering-elective. God-bless you and your journey.

3 Likes

Welcome @TravisBritnor! I pray you find peace and rest in your salvation. It is founded in the surety of Christ. And while we may have intellectual questions we are seeking answers to, or we may doubt ourselves, just remember, that is not where our salvation lies.

3 Likes

Hi Travis, I’m so glad that you shared your struggling with us.
I am an INFJ-T too myself, everything you’ve just said about perfectionist, focus on details, seeing the big picture, I understand it, because it’s what I feel too, to have the burden to be perfect in everything we do, which in this case is in following Jesus.

One thing that I understand is that we (as humans) are not perfect (cmiiw). we have physical, mental, and spiritual needs that in some way can be a limitation. We need foods to live, clothes and shelters, our body and mind also need rest, and I think God understands that. As long as we know the difference between needs and desires, and not let our humans desires control us. When we believe in Him, Holy Spirit resides inside us, and one of the fruit of the spirit is Joy. We need to keep building a personal relationship with God through prayer and reading the bible, and find the joy and passion in living for Jesus.

Be Joyful and passionate!

Budi

2 Likes

Welcome Travis,
You have come to the right place, I look forward to you question and input.

thank you…

1 Like