Trinity for salvation

Hey forgive me if my questions sound foolish.
So I am a Trinitarian, I believe it. I find it confusing but I believe it. Please correct me if I’m wrong and why.
So We do not need to understand or believe the trinity to be saved right. We are told if you believe and confess that Christ is your lord and saviour you will be saved. I’ve had trinitarians explain the trinity as water: liquid, ice, steam. But that would actually be modalism so even some trinitarians don’t understand the trinity fully. but I don’t think that would jeopardize their salvation, personally I don’t think we can ever understand it fully in this life. I know people who actually believe modalism as well, I would think they would be saved. Even possibly some mormons. Because they believe Jesus is their saviour. Am I correct or off? I have a main question more on Jehovah witness tho, I do not know if they are saved I have always believed they are not. But they do believe Jesus is their saviour. So that would technically make them saved. But I know they think Jesus is Michael. But mormons believe Jesus is Satan’s brother or something? as far as I know. Just trying to get answers. And I know all in all we don’t make the call god does and we can leave it in his hands. Just looking for a bit more of a clear answer than that. Thanks.

1 Like

@Alive_In_Christ Great questions :slight_smile: It’s important to remember that it is not our knowledge of God that saves us, but rather that we know God and are known by God. That said, we must know the true God; not a false depiction of God.

When Jesus spoke to the woman at the well, He was very clear that salvation is of the Jews. The Samaritans were objectively wrong. However, He still revealed Himself to her. I’m sure her theology wasn’t suddenly all correct, but she had met the Savior!

What we need to understand about the Mormons or JWs is that they use words that sound like what normal Christians say, but they mean something very different. They do not worship the God of Scripture. That said, is it possible some of them have truly encountered Jesus and are just confused? I think so.

I’ve included some resources below on cults if you want to read up more on the ways in which the JWs or Mormons diverge from a true picture of God and salvation.

John 5:39-40 - You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

John 4:19-24 - 9 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. 20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”

21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

https://carm.org/mormonism

https://carm.org/jehovahs-witnesses

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Amen - great answer @SeanO.

Paul warned in II Corinthians 11:4 that some preach another Jesus whom we have not preached, some receive another spirit that we have not received, some accept another gospel that we have not accepted.

The doctrine of the Trinity is difficult - and I believe it’s main difficulty is that this description of a spiritual Being - God - has no real parallel in the physical world. People try to illustrate it with water and ice, or the parts of an egg or a shamrock - but no natural illustration will ever capture the essence of a supernatural reality like the Trinity.

The only meaningful parallel you could ever draw with it would be something spiritual. For example, the image of God that He breathed into man. I think it’s interesting that all through Genesis 1-2, God creates one material thing after another - and all the while, He is spoken of in singular terms. But when He creates man, for the first time He says, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.” In the whole creation story, God’s triune nature is only revealed when He creates mankind.

Have you ever said in your heart something like what God said? “Let’s get out of bed,” “Let’s get dressed,” “Let’s go eat breakfast!” So who are you talking to when you say things like that?

Have you ever had to talk yourself into something? Your mind thought it was a great idea, but your heart had some reservations? So how many of you are there inside of you?

Have you ever had to motivate your will to get moving? A heart to feel with, a mind to reason, a will to act - but they’re all just one person - You!

One person, but different voices. Of course, your voices don’t always agree - everyone affected by sin is to some degree dysfunctional.

But God has voices too. The Father spoke, the Son was the Word, the Spirit says, “This is the way, walk ye in it,” when ye turn to the right hand or to the left - Isaiah 30:21. And His voices are always in perfect harmony. They are One.

And really, if you have three Beings, all occupying the same space (all infinity) at the same time (all eternity), coequal in power (total omnipotence) and wisdom (total omniscience), all equally holy and loving, and they never change - if in every significant way they are the same, with no difference between them - then they really are One, no matter how many of them there are. The fact that it’s a mathmetical impossibility is irrelevant - this has nothing to do with mathematics. It’s a spiritual reality that is, well…out of this world!

Hope it helps!