Trinity in the Bible

triune-trinity

(Devon ) #1

Hi Guys,

I was wondering how you all would prove or show the Trinity from,the Bible? I have heard the Claim that The Trinity is Not Biblical, and not found in the Bible, but is just a Church Doctrine.

How would you all respond to that? What verses would you use?

God Bless and Thank You!

(Joe Stempert) #2

Hi Devon,

I recently had a few folks knock on my front door not to long ago to introduce themselves and their convictions and I decided to engage a little for about a half hour on some of our differences between our faiths. One conviction that cropped up was the disagreement on the trinity. To be really clear up front, what I’m going to share is my own personal view on it as I am going to be incredibly uneducated based on the studies and pedigrees of experts. But I’m responding nonetheless as my experience was really practical and stands out in relation to your questions. So, without further adieu:

The case from my visitors against the doctrine of the trinity was most specifically with the role of the Spirit (which I assume is a gateway into other breakdowns) in that the Spirit is more of the “verb” of God; his expression of movement. The references they mentioned were most notably drawn in our conversation from verses like “The Spirit of God hovered over the waters,” and “…the spirit of God moved…” (I apologize for not having scripture references and pulling them out in this fashion but I’ve struggled with the discipline of rote memorization). They were action oriented.

Respectfully, I asked them then to tell me how they interpret verses that explain more of a “person-hood” of the the spirit of God, such as when Christ promises the coming of a “helper” to the disciples after he has gone. What ensued was a discussion on how the actions (or spirit according to their understanding) of God help mankind and therefore is considered a helper in the same way, for example, that raining (action) is a help to the gardener. Most verses that are affiliated with the person-hood of the trinity when it comes to the spirit can, unfortunately, in my opinion, be subject to their interpretation. But a few stand out and for me, 1 John 5:6 specifically. Because it gets a the nature of the person-hood of the spirit of God, as characterized by truth.

To me, this is a major qualifier in understanding the person-likeness of the Spirit, not in the sense that truth is not a part of the Father or the Son, but rather that the essence of the person of the Spirit is characterized by truth itself. The notion of Identity, which is foundational to person-hood, is located in truth as the identity of the Spirit of God. There are correlating repercussions that show the evidence of the Spirit (ie, the fruits of the Spirit) and these would be the results from what “THE SPIRIT HIMSELF” does, or acts upon when cultivated. The Spirit of God doesn’t act upon the truth because the Spirit of God IS the truth.

Ultimately, from this experience with me, because the term Spirit in the scriptures CAN be interpreted as the “actions” of God does not actually mean that God’s Spirit IS ONLY action. To me, from this, The Spirit of God IS TRUTH and therefore HAS AN IDENTITY, and therefore, has a persona. It is of the Essence and Substance of God in it’s unity to the Father and Son, but it is also Distinct as it has an Identity.

PS - A similar (but different) correlation would be to how the poets personify WISDOM in the proverbs or God Himself recalling Wisdom being nearby when we created. “Wisdom has an identity and she is known, by her children.”

Hope it helps your processing, sorry if it ends up just being more confusing :slight_smile:

• Joe

(Cameron Kufner) #3

Great question. Although the word Trintity is specifically not mentioned in the Bible, they call the Godhead: Father, Spirit, Son, the Trinity.

Now, there’s often debate and I believe we’ll figure it out when we arrive in Heaven; I don’t think it’s a Heaven or Hell issue, but the debate is between “Oneness” and “Trinity”.

Oneness: God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit is just one person, but with three different roles. For example: My name is Cameron, I am a cousin, a son, and a nephew. Make sense?

Trinity believes that God is three seperate people, but work together and are the Godhead three in one. This one to me, makes the most sense because of these scriptures.

:black_small_square:John 1:1
:black_small_square:Matthew 22:42 - Why would he pray something like “Father, it’s me, you”? That wouldn’t make sense. Just my perspective. But if you disagree, I respect your opinion and respectfully disagree.
:black_small_square:1 John 5:7

Just wanted to name those few scriptures, there are more.

Hopefully this helps. God bless you!

(SeanO) #4

@Dev While the Trinity is not an explicit doctrine in the Bible, it is implicit throughout. Many passages of Scripture state that each member of the Trinity is God and yet that they are distinct, which is the core of the doctrine of the Trinity.

I like the way the below article from the CRI explains it. There are 3 planks that are core to a Biblical doctrine of the Trinity:

• there is only one God
  • each member of the Trinity is fully and completely God
  • each member of the Trinity is distinct

The article provides Scripture to support each plank.

The second plank emphasizes that in hundreds of Scripture passages the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are declared to be fully and completely God. As a case in point, the apostle Paul says that, “there is but one God the Father” (1 Corinthians 8:6). The Father, speaking of the Son, says, “Your throne, O God, will last forever and forever” (Hebrews 1:8). And when Ananias “lied to the Holy Spirit,” Peter points out that he had “not lied to men but to God” (Acts 5:3–4).

https://www.equip.org/bible_answers/is-the-trinity-biblical/

There are many addition verses that support each plank - this is just a sampling. For example, John 1 says that in the beginning the Word was God - Jesus is God. Or:

John 10:30 - The Father and I are one .

Colossians 2:9 - For the entire fullness of God’s nature dwells bodily in Christ.

The list is quite long. Here are some other resources on Connect regarding the Trinity. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

John: 1:1
How to explain Trinity to a Hindu
God's spirit
(Dan Tangen) #5

I wonder, if sometime, we put to much emphasis on the trinity. I’m not saying it’s not important, but in understanding it.
I, likewise, am not theologically educated, but, this is the way I have come to understand it through my own studies. For the most part, in the old testament, God mainly communicated through prophets and a chosen few. Here is one.
We are sinners at birth and God needed to come down to earth to live and die as a man and as a sacrifice so that we may have forgiveness and eternal life. God came down to bridge the gap. There is 2
When Jesus returned to heaven, God needed a way to be with us, to help us, guide us, and bridge the gap from him to us and Thus The Holy Spirit. This is 3.
I pray to God, but say in jesus name. Because jesus bridges the gap to God.
I think of the Holy Spirit as my conscience. When I here something very loudly in my head I usually say gotcha God, because I think the Holy Spirit as a bridge for messages from God.
Just as 1 person can have different roles, So also does God.
I watched a movie one time where the sheriff was also the postman and the mayor. Three very different roles one man.
I really have no idea if this makes any sense to anyone else. But I hope it helps someone. I also hope I’m a little right LOL!
God bless you all😃

(SeanO) #6

@Dan_Tangen Really appreciate your heart brother! The idea of one man having three roles is an ancient heresy called modalism.

modalism: the doctrine that the persons of the Trinity represent only three modes or aspects of the divine revelation, not distinct and coexisting persons in the divine nature.

A somewhat comical explanation of some of the ancient heresies about the Trinity: