Trinity

Hello!

I’ve a question regarding Trinity. I’ve heard
Dr. Zacharias giving example regarding Trinity using
C. S. Lewis it’s really good. My question is why an infinite God subjected to only three persons?
Thank you:)

2 Likes

@Anuraag, thank you for the question. I see a couple different reasons for asking this question. Firstly, for someone with a pluralistic mindset who believes all forms of gods from different religions lead to the same God, the idea of Trinity seems like God is limiting Himself to just three persons. Secondly, the question might be asked from a purely rationalistic perspective, why would an infinite God limit Himself to a finite number of three?

For the pluralistic mind, I would first point out that Trinity is not just God in three forms but is also One in essence/being. What’s beautiful is that all the the three expressions of God are playing different roles for the same purpose at the same time. The three persons of God share the same will.
John 14:26 However, the helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything. He will remind you of everything that I have ever told you.

John 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works.

We also see the the plurality of God in all of the Old testament where God is referred to as “Elohim” yet the Israelites also always believed that " the Lord God is One". There are several examples where we see all persons of God present at the same instance for the same purpose. When Jesus sends the disciples out for the great commission, He says go and baptize in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit ( Matthew 28:19). Similarly, when Jesus was baptized, we see the reference to all three persons of the Trinity in one act at the same time. (Matt 3).

Its impossible to say that all forms of god in all parts of the world are operating for the same purpose at the same time. Even within one religion as in Hinduism, it seems difficult to prove that. The only common purpose is man’s attempt to live in harmony with others for a higher moral purpose beyond themselves. Even in that there are differences. I remember listening to a talk by Dr. Vince Vitale how even the golden rule differs greatly in different worldviews. I am digressing here a bit but what I am trying to say is that the different forms we know of dont seem to be One in essence or being.

Next, I would also say that if the purposes of God are fulfilled in three persons, there is no need to add a fourth person. What’s important to remember is that Jesus was not only fully God but also fully man and sinless, which is unique to Christian faith. He didn’t just come to show the way but He claimed He is the way. If the purpose was fulfilled in His life, death and resurrection, there is no need for further persons.

Finally, it doesn’t matter what we believe unless it is true. Trinity is a divine special revelation given through the word of God and Jesus (word made flesh). If one is convinced of the deity of Jesus and truth of the Bible, then belief in Trinity must follow.

I hope this helps. I look forward to learning what others may have to add to this. Blessings!

4 Likes