True satisfaction in the Lord

Hi everyone. I have been thinking on this topic quite a lot recently and would love your input. I have been slightly confused at times over finding true satisfaction in the Lord. I have had times that have been truly wonderful and times that have been quite hard to draw near to God. These harder times have been particularly tough as I begin to question whether I am truly living in God’s victory and if I am living from His outpouring of love. I know this is a bit vague but I think that is because I am still trying to come to terms with all of it, I would appreciate to hear what you all think. I do believe we are meant to live in God’s grace and to rejoice in Him always but how to do that and what that looks like at times can be quite difficult.

1 Like

I wish I could help, but I’m totally in the same spot. I’m not sure what it’s supposed to feel like or look like when walking with the Lord. I have heard that it is a process however, and that getting to 100% isn’t likely because we’re stuck to our fleshly sin

2 Likes

Dominic, this is a difficult question and something we all experience I am sure. I think it is part of growing in faith, but that is little comfort when we are going through it and wonder what it’s all about anyway. I think each of our circumstances is so unique and I don’t know how you live your life, so I’m taking a generic stab in the dark here hoping to point you in a direction that may help. First I found this short article that a man wrote about his experience with lacking satisfaction in the Lord. I thought his advice was good and very simple.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/pursuing-satisfaction-in-god-may-look-different-than-you-think.html

I would also like to share some of my own experience in how I came to find more satisfaction in God and His word. Our lives are so full of trials, and experiences of victory over them when we see how God’s hand helps us, also busyness and distractions, as well as times where we stop and find ways that we can show someone the love of Christ. Life is busy, and we try to find satisfaction in so many worldly pursuits thinking those are what will give us a sense of purpose and fulfillment. But personally, I have felt closer to God when I actually came to know Him better. First I just started reading my Bible in large sections, starting in the Old Testament, as I would any book. I felt like I got a better understanding of His character and how He loves and forgives from reading all about His interactions with people. I also listen to podcasts from RZIM and other ministries that give me a better understanding of God’s truths. Along with all of that whenever I serve others in any way I feel more in touch with God, and when I interact with fellow believers like here on Connect or my home church that also is encouraging and makes me thankful to God for the beauty of fellowship with the brethren. And prayer. The more I learn about God and His love for us and the beauty of the Gospel, the more I want to pray, not just praying out of duty, but because I want to praise him and make supplication for others as well as myself because I KNOW He is listening. One thing I have found that makes me feel more distant is my busy life and my tendency want to do it all myself without remembering to, at the beginning of every day, or even throughout the day, lean on God and ask Him for guidance and pray for wisdom to be a good steward and example of Christ’s love.

This is just my experience in life, and as the years have gone by I have found it easier to feel close to the Lord. Pray for wisdom and guidance as you seek to draw closer to Him, and get into the word, and seek ways to serve others. Your honest desire to feel closer to Him will be answered as you truly seek Him. I’ll be praying for you as well. God bless you Dominic! :blush:

3 Likes

Hey @domleslie. This is a great question. Like everything in the world, our satisfaction goes hand in hand with our expectations. Our expectations have to be based on the truth, biblical truth and not how we feel or what we desire, or what others tell us. If we think God is a magician or a genie who serves our desires, and/or if we are chasing the happiness of the world, then we will be disappointed when things don’t go our way.

According to the bible, the truth is that God, the creator of the universe came to be with us as a human being, died on the cross out of love for us, to pay for our sins. He was resurrected from the dead and promised he will be coming back for judgment day. He is to deliver justice and all tears will be wiped away. Those that have him, believe in him, are saved and live eternity where there no longer mourn, be sad, or have any type of shortage/lack of joy.

So as a born again Christian, we live bear fruits of good works; we aim to be like Christ. To love God with all our heart, mind, soul and to love our neighbor as ourselves. We are told to serve others, live more than for ourselves, and be about the truth. We are told to share the good news to the creatures of the world so they too can have eternal life. In that and in our lives, we are told that we will have trails and tribulations and to not be surprised if the world hates us because the world hated Christ first. We are told to rejoice when we are prosecuted as our rewards in heaven is much greater. We are told to be patient and to pray to understand his will. He promises to be with us through our suffering and promises that all the evil of the world will be turned to good according to his will and purpose. We understand his thoughts are not ours and so are his ways superior than ours.

Now you may ask why should we suffer, why cant God just fix it all. The cause of our suffering in this world is us, the human heart. Our selfish ways of life, greed, money, power, desire for position is what causes the suffering. There is enough resources in the world for everyone, but no we rather be about our own self-centered ways of life. If we ask him to fix it, then he would have to start with you and I and take us out. But we are his children. He loves us sooo much. So he instead died for us to give justice for all the sin we have committed and showed us what it means to truly love.

Every human deepest desire is to be truly known and be loved without any judgment. God loved us unconditionally to the point of death when he clearly knows how evil we are. That unconditional undeserved love is the fulfillment of our hearts. Not the temporary materialistic world with it’s quick temporary fun and fixes. So when we align our thinking with his thinking and make purpose for our life that mirrors the purpose his has for our life, we start understanding everything and we start becoming content and at peace with our life. Nothing would shake us, or surprise us. We also know that our eternity is secure with him. So this life becomes nothing to us. We stop hoarding our money, we start giving, we start forgiving, we start loving even our enemies. In that we find even more fulfillment. Now that is heaven on earth. And then paradise will be waiting for us as well.

I hope this helps. I have put some of the verses from the bible.

Isaiah 41:10 10 Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you ; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”

John 16:33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

Matthew 16: 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 27 For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.

John 17: 11 Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. 18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth."

Matthew 5: 11 Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

3 Likes

Hi Dominic,

It’s wonderful to meet you. I’m Sanah, and like you, and probably all of us here, have had times of questioning where we are in our walk with God in terms of living in God’s victory and within His ongoing outpouring of love.

The times when it’s hard to draw near to Christ feels like we are on the outside looking in… like passing the window of a church, in the middle of a rainstorm; seeing everyone inside rejoicing and wondering why we’re not in there?

It’s interesting how we wonder what’s wrong with us and beat ourselves up when our Lord has said this is a blessed condition.

Matthew 5:3 ’ Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.’

Dominic, your self awareness of spirtual lack is a blessed condition that’s an indication of your beautiful humility. We should all feel fortunate to have you reminding us that it’s not until we realize we’re lacking something that we can accept that we have a need. And that longing for spirtual fullfillment, that thirst for Christ… brings us to our knees over and over again in prayer… and from there we will rise in our Lords victory. 1 Corinthians 15:57 ’ But thanks be to God, who gives us victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.’

What it looks like? I read and study the story of Joseph quite often as a beautiful reminder of what living in Gods grace and rejoicing in him always looks like… no matter our circumstaces. Joseph is a shining example.

I pray this was helpful in some way…

Blessings always,
~Sanah~

3 Likes

Thank you so much @gchop. I am feeling very encouraged from this and appreciate your words of wisdom for me!

1 Like

Thanks, @Danageze, you’ve given me a lot to think about and I believe there is so much truth in what you have said as well.

Particularly what you have said here. I still have a lot of rough edges that God is smoothing out in me, but aligning my will with His is something I must definitely never forget.

2 Likes

@domleslie, I am glad to hear that. Anything that makes us think, give us the chance to change :ok_hand:. And ofcourse, all of us are imperfect. God understands that and works with us daily if we let him. He only cares about is our genuine efforts and hearts that are willing to change. Implied in trusting him is that we truly understand his ways are better for us.

Look at the world, right. The bible is full of highly influential people/kings that fell again and again despite having everything they need including wisdom (Solomon) because they thought their ways were better and smarter. They thought they could be fulfilled if they had all the world has to offer. Look at how the 20th century has killed more people than the last rest 19 centuries combined. The alternate world views dont make sense. Adam and Eve. Each one of us everyday make choices. Those choices when done with consultation with the Lord and the bible give us the best answer, solution, and contentment.

I think a good exercise is to take sometime to try to understand why God gives us each commandments. Is it to enslave us or protect us? That’s life changing.

But I commend you for what you are doing. Getting close to God when we dont understand and asking is the right way to lead our life. He is seeing this, He is proud of you. Remember prayer is not about getting what we want from God, but having a conversation with God so we understand his will, so that he can change our will to his.

You’ll be in my prayers.
God Bless.

3 Likes

Hi @sanahdalah15 it’s nice to meet you as well.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. It was helpful thanks so much. Everyone has brought in a slightly different perspective to my question and each answer has been so good for me. The Lord has truly blessed me with a lot of things meditate on in the next few days. Not only that but your response has given me reason to be really excited with where I am at right now, so thank you for that as well!

2 Likes

Hi Dominic,

I am encouraged that you’re encouraged! :laughing:

That is truly one of the many marvelous things about this lovely community here on connect. We have all walked on different paths in life before coming to our Lord and before meeting here along our journey. And with this, we each bring our unique experiences and perspectives to the table of our Lords grace. I’m strengthend in Christ and learn in our Lord everytime I open a post or follow a thread and read the questions and replys from my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I’m glad you’re here and look forward to reading more of your thoughtful words and learning from your walk and experiences in our Lord.

Blessings,
~Sanah~

3 Likes

Hello there Dominic! I know you posted this 5 days ago and may have come to some conclusions already but I still wanted to ask you if you were talking about how you feel emotionally from time to time towards the Lord? It’s been a very long time but I still recall one of the first churches I attended back in the late 80’s. They were a charismatic church and, at the time, many of them seemed convinced that if an individual weren’t feeling euphoric at all times about the Lord then something was definitely wrong with their walk with Him. Today I am certain that that was quite an erroneous thing to teach folks and it caused me no small amount of stress. Is this along the lines of what you mean?

In Him. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like