Understanding Free Will

(HarryAnuraag) #1

If everything is determined how can we say that we have free will??

Thankyou:)

(SeanO) #2

@Anuraag The simple truth is that no one knows for certain exactly how God’s sovereignty and human free will work. The Bible is clear that we are responsible for our actions and that God is sovereign. And I think as long as we acknowledge both of those facts, we do not need to understand the exact mechanics of how the two go together to follow Jesus.

Deut 29:29 - The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.

That said, I think there are a few things to consider when interpreting these Bible passages:

• many of the passages talking about predestination can be interpreted in 2 ways - either God predestined individuals or God predestined all people who choose to come through the foreordained means. In other words, God did not predestine individuals to choose salvation but that all who come to Christ will be saved.
  • the Biblical covenants in the OT are conditional - if you obey you will be blessed, if you disobey you will be cursed. If people did not genuinely have the ability to choose, that would not make any sense at all. To be held responsible we must have the capacity to choose between good and evil.

(Kenny) #3

I don’t think I can answer this better than Ravi Zacharias himself. :slight_smile:

Here is the video (pardon the title since it’s not posted by RZIM directly):

Additional article if you are interested:

(HarryAnuraag) #4

thank you sir for clarifying my doubt:)

(SeanO) #5

@Anuraag Sure thing - may the Lord Jesus give you faith, hope and peace by His Spirit :slight_smile: