Urgent: I’m Stuck

(Vili) #1

Hi all
I’m having trouble with something urgent, and I was hoping someone could help answer this:

See, my life situation at the moment (some of you may know this) is that I’m currently in Israel trying to figure out what I want to do for University. The thing is, the jobs I’m doing in he Kibbutz doesn’t provide me that opportunity to explore, and thus I’m left wih the idea of pursuing a learning project on free online courses exploring Engineering whenever my time is free. My problem is that I feel in my heart (some of you already noticed this in my first post from Israel) that I should spend more quality time in Gods Word, and really learning the basics of Biblical Hermeneutics. Sure, I have a trip to the US after this to pursue YWAM Kansas City, where they can teach me these things, but I feel now is the time to really engage in the word. I guess I just don’t want to feel like I’ve abandoned
God for a pursuit that feels like I’m straying away from my calling (which I feel is to become an apologist one day).

What do you guys think?

I would really appreciate your response.

P.s. I’m still learning from How to Read the Bible for All it’s Worth

4 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@AlphaOmega Praying for Jesus to give you wisdom friend :slight_smile:

Are you planning to be an engineer in the future? I think that it is a very godly thing to work hard with our hands and to excel at our profession, so I would not feel guilty about studying hard for our planned career. Tim Keller has some great resources on the value of work.

6 Likes
(Vili) #3

This is actually me trying to explore what it is that I want to do for work in the future, but this preach is very relieving for me. That being said though, I was thinking that I would be doing a profession first before going into a program like OCCA, or maybe Seminary afterwards, in order to have a solid base for doing missions (Proffesion), before going into something else.

3 Likes
(Melvin Greene) #4

@AlphaOmega,

I do not know what God’s plan is for your life, my brother. I do know that He wants you to know it. There was a time in my life when I thought I had missed God’s plan for me. I was well into middle age and it seemed that my best years were fading quickly. But, God is forever faithful and He did lead me into a great ministry working with homeless men with addictions.

God wants you to know His plans for you and He will reveal it at just the right time in your life. He will give you the desires of your heart, because He put those desires there. God will use your life experiences to prepare you for His work. It maybe full time ministry, or it maybe a secular career in engineering. But where ever you end up is your mission field. You will be His apologist no matter what field of endeavor is yours.

I also will be praying that God reveals the path He has laid out for you.

May God bless you and give you the desires of your heart!

2 Likes
(C Rhodes) #5

May I add, if the free online school is People University, be aware that there is deliberate harassment of anyone who is identified with the cause of the Gospels. I received many accolades from my instructors but because it uses a peer review system for grading; I was always requesting reviews of my writings. I was down-graded repeatedly.

Though exclamation for the assigned grade is required; most of the time it was not offered. Instead, I was called stupid and told until my ideas changed I would never receive a passing grade. Some of the students seemed to be antagonized by my concepts.

Also, there is a deliberate requirement to embrace the ideas of Globalization. Some of the convictions proffered were in direct opposition to the Word of GOD. And in sharp criticism of Christian beliefs and in some studies against all religions. Free is never free, be careful.

1 Like
(Jimmy Sellers) #6

Maybe this story will be helpful.
It is my recollection of a radio broadcast by an American preacher/teacher/evangelist whose name was J. Vernon McGee and the program was Through the Bible with J, Vernon McGee. I think you can listen to him here.
https://www.ttb.org/programs/the-5-year-study/study-contents

The story goes something like this:
In seminary McGee had a hard time with Hebrew. This would be a good place to say that McGee felt he had a genuine call from God to preach. As I recall he said that he struggled and because of this he had to fight the urge to be distracted with other perceived more important things that would steal away time from his study of Hebrew.

The night before exams he said a well meaning brother came to his room and wanted him (McGee) to come to a Bible study on the Beatitudes. McGee said that a Bible on the Beauties certainly sounded more important that studying for a Hebrew test but as he explained to the young man God had called him to pass this Hebrew course and as good as the Bible study sounded it was a distraction and would likely cause him to fail Hebrew.

The point that I felt McGee was making was simply that even a Bible study as good as it sound can be a distraction from what God has called you to do.

If I think about it I believe everyone in the Bible including Jesus had a skill that could be used to the glory of God.

So get a skill that will be marketable in todays world, engineering is a good choice today but remember trades will be needed forever and are repeatedly listed as top wage earners.
Hope this helps.

4 Likes
(SeanO) #7

@AlphaOmega Blessings as you go through that process of discernment :slight_smile: There is certainly a trend in the missions world towards bivocational ministry, in which it is a great benefit to be skilled as a professional and also be able to rightly divide God’s Word. As an apologist, I believe there would be great benefit in being very, very skilled and well known in a profession because that would give you a platform from which to share God’s truth.

You might find this thread helpful if you have not already read it:

(Sanchia_J) #8

Thanks :slight_smile: similar situation, same cross roads but different choices. I love listening to Vernon McGee on Transworld radio and seeing this was exactly what I needed to hear. :hugs::hugs::heart:

2 Likes
(SeanO) #10

@AlphaOmega Don’t let fear rule your future :slight_smile: Be honest about your strengths and weaknesses. Get out a sheet of paper, write down your options and list the benefits / obstacles that each one will present. Write down how you can deal with each obstacle rather than seeing it as an impassable barrier. For example, if you are not great at math, you can go in and ask your teachers for help more often in the first year or get some tutoring.

Once you have thought through it yourself, schedule some coffee appointments with older, wise men in your Church who know you and you believe have made good decisions. Explain your rational to them and ask for feedback. After getting feedback from a few more individuals, reexamine your initial thoughts prayerfully and then make a decision.

Honor your mother by explaining clearly why you have chosen a certain path. I imagine she simply wants you to be successful and not have to struggle down a difficult path.

Here is a thread you might find helpful as well. Hope that is helpful and praying that the Lord would grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

1 Like