Support RZIM Connect

Vegetarian and the Bible

Hi, guys, I personally don’t believe this, but I know that many people believe that we should be vegetarians because of their convictions of the Bible. Others say we shouldn’t eat “unclean” foods. If there are any people of either of those persuasions who read this post, I’d be really glad if you could tell me how you came to that conviction and what your biblical grounds are for it?
Thanks,
-Tirzah

1 Like

Hello @Tirz there are similar posts that you may want to look at here --> Eating Meat
and here --> Animal Sacrifices in the old testament

I can currently only supply resources for why eating meat is okay. Eating meat is okay for one because Jesus ate meat and he was sinless.

Luke 24:36-43

36 While they were saying these things, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 37 But they were startled and terrified, thinking they saw a ghost. 38 Then he said to them, “Why are you frightened, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39 Look at my hands and my feet; it’s me! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones like you see I have.” 40 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his feet. 41 And while they still could not believe it (because of their joy) and were amazed, he said to them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42 So they gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it in front of them.

Luke 22:7-16

7 Then the day for the feast of Unleavened Bread came, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. 8 Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, “Go and prepare the Passover for us to eat.” 9 They said to him, “Where do you want us to prepare it?” 10 He said to them, “Listen, when you have entered the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him into the house that he enters, 11 and tell the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher says to you, “Where is the guest room where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?”’ 12 Then he will show you a large furnished room upstairs. Make preparations there.” 13 So they went and found things just as he had told them, and they prepared the Passover.

14 Now when the hour came, Jesus took his place at the table and the apostles joined him. 15 And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. 16 For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” 17

So eating meat is not a sin in any way and shouldn’t be looked upon as if it is one. Here is a video that explains the possibility of Adam and Eve also eating meat before the fall.

As far as eating unclean foods go I don’t personally believe that we are to follow the food laws of the Old Testament anymore. That doesn’t mean they don’t provide good health and good reason. I honestly think following the food laws had a lot of benefit health-wise. I mean look at the pandemic right now. It’s speculated that this terrible disease came from a wet market in China where they eat animals that would be considered unclean in the old testament. And this is not a dig at people or a culture. It’s just that you can see there are certain animals that God may have not wanted the Israeli people not to consume because they had a stronger possibility of disease outbreak.

Now the reason I don’t think we have to follow the food laws for salvation or in general is because of the passage in the book of Acts.

Acts 15:23-29

23 They sent this letter with them:

From the apostles and elders, your brothers, to the Gentile brothers and sisters in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia, greetings! 24 Since we have heard that some have gone out from among us with no orders from us and have confused you, upsetting your minds by what they said, 25 we have unanimously decided to choose men to send to you along with our dear friends Barnabas and Paul, 26 who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 Therefore we are sending Judas and Silas who will tell you these things themselves in person. 28 For it seemed best to the Holy Spirit and to us not to place any greater burden on you than these necessary rules: 29 that you abstain from meat that has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what has been strangled and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from doing these things, you will do well. Farewell.

Now to bring some context to this there were people among the new Christians who were telling them they had to follow the Law of Moses if they wanted to be saved. There was a meeting with the apostles on this matter. The result which was said to be given by the Holy Spirit was written in this letter to the gentiles who were the new converts to Christianity. Read all of Acts chapter 15 and ask the Lord to show you the truth. Maybe come back and discuss even more about it. I don’t find either side to be bad as long as it’s not attached to salvation.

I hope this helped some :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply, Luna! I made this post mainly because I wanted to hear why people believed it wasn’t okay. I know the reasons for why it’s biblical to eat meat and I also eat meat all the time, but I want to hear how other people who believe it isn’t okay see it. Thanks again, though!

2 Likes