Victor Janushkowsky

Hello from Washington DC, Bolling Air Force Base!

Completed a 20+ years career in the US Air Force, now working supporting the Office of the Secretary of Defense as a consultant.

I joined CONNECT, in hope that my marathon as a Christian continues to develop me in ways that are meaningful to my God, family, and country.

Was raised in California by Russian immigrants. Was raised up in the Russian Orthodox church, and taught by loving parents to love Jesus at an early age. Went to a Catholic High School, learned the “catechism”, and experienced the love of the nuns and fathers of the church. Married a Baptist, and, while respecting the Orthodox and Catholic folks greatly, was moved to have a more intimate relationship with God through the protestant manner of worship.

Met Ravi through the radio, and personally met him at the US Naval Academy during one of his talks there. Always admired his 1) articulate, clear, logical manner of conveying thoughts, and 2) loving manner in which he did so, and 3) strong ability to meet adversity during Q&A’s (an area I need to get better at!)

Love to all,

Vic

10 Likes

Hi @jplus11,

Welcome! I think one way you could continue to train yourself is to watch one Take 5 video a day and then respond to it: https://connect.rzim.org/c/ask-rzim/take-five. This would create a habit of study - and articulation - that would steadily improve your ability to express your beliefs in a winsome, respectful, and clear manner.

However, you chose to get involved, I think you’ll find that the questions in this community are wonderfully engaging and are an opportunity to love and serve our neighbors well.

3 Likes

Hi Vic and welcome to Connect :slightly_smiling_face:. Thanks for sharing some of your backstory. Sound like you have had a quite an interesting life. Is further ministry in Apologetics of interest to you? What are some of the challenging questions or arguments that you most commonly face?

Blessings

2 Likes

Victor what a wonderful informative intro it touched my heart. Your diverse knowledge of the different Faith’s will make for many lively discussions. In your current setting there are many same, and different aspects from each which adds to your grasp of each. My relationship with Christ would not be the same without my Catholic upbringing and years of Parochial School with Preists, and Nuns. Look forward to many interactions.
Mike

2 Likes

Brian, thanks for the welcome!
An apologist is a “defender”, right? Then I am definitely an apologist.

Would like to learn how to deal calmly, unemotionally, yet firmly and objectively with “difficult” people, if I am going to grow in my apologetics capability. Not really about the arguments or questions with me – its about handling attitudes - I tend to overreact back… working on it.

Best to you

2 Likes

[quote=“mgaplus4, post:4, topic:30997, full:true”]
Victor what a wonderful informative intro it touched my heart. Your diverse knowledge of the different Faith’s will make for many lively discussions. In your current setting there are many same, and different aspects from each which adds to your grasp of each. My relationship with Christ would not be the same without my Catholic upbringing and years of Parochial School with Preists, and Nuns. Look forward to many interactions.
Mike

1 Like

Mike, appreciate your post – indeed I’ve learned from different perspectives, as have you. For example, I asked my childhood Orthodox priest why on the altar wall is a picture of a “skull” – he said that in Orthodox tradition, Golgotha, “the place of the skull” is actually the site of burial of the original man Adam’s skull". How interesting is that! I always thought it was only because of the shape of the mountain. Trivial, not important to our faith, but fascinating nonetheless.
Best,

Vic

2 Likes

Hi Carson,

Appreciate the welcome, and I’ve bookmarked the Take-5 and am about to put it on my schedule as a recurring daily event! Great idea - hope they are “inspiring”. Best, Vic

1 Like

Hi @jplus11, great introduction, welcome and thank you for your service :pray:t3: What a blessing it must’ve been to meet Ravi! I look forward to reading some of your thoughts and insight as you engage here in this forum :slightly_smiling_face:
Take care

2 Likes

Yes fascinating indeed for sure, I now would wonder was that learned knowledge or something passed down by a predecessor. Oh the stories I missed out on, living in sin. My Mom who took care of the Rectory for the Priests and cooked for them heard much but I never cared. Just a regret which helps me listen better I hope. Take care my friend
Mike
Sometimes perhaps you could share a little about the Orthodox part of your testimony?

2 Likes

So beautifully written! Thank you. It is so wonderful to see in your
life accounts that God had His hand on you.
May you hold fast to Him forever, and grow closer to Him every
day.

3 Likes

Welcome Victor, Thank you for your service to our country. I loved your testimony.
Lynn

1 Like

Thanks, Sieglinde. Your welcome is most welcome! Vic

1 Like

Thanks Lynn! Looking forward to meaningful discussions. Vic

Cathy, indeed, He has had His hand on me – so much so that oftentimes when people press me for a date and time of my conversion, I struggle to pick one – I feel like I’ve been growing as a child of God from the very beginning, with loving Orthodox Christian parents (Grandfather was a priest in Russia), who taught me to talk to God and love him.

Best,

Vic

Hi Victor

I am very glad to know about you and your thirst for developing you continuously in the Lord

1 Like

Vic it is so rewarding to see a Born Again Christian working in an important position in our Government. We need Christians in all areas of our society to influence those that are influenced by secularism. Bless you Brother as you continue on your journey through this incredible organization of RZIM.

1 Like

Thanks Rick for the kind words - Indeed, there’s a lot of “man’s wisdom is pure foolishness…” in our beloved government, but there’s hope when the body of Christ “sticks to our guns”.

I see you are also a “fisher of fish” – where did you get that beauty?

Hi Neil, thanks for the kind words.

Mike, appreciate your honesty and stories - we all have regrets, but I learned we all must look FORWARD, never back. We’ve been forgiven, “there’s NO condemnation…”, and we can take that to the bank.

My mom’s father was a priest in the Russian Orthodox church. His love for the Lord and his congregation was well known. In 1935 he was “purged” by the evil dictator Stalin and the family was devastated. But his wife (priests in Orthodox are allowed to have families) kept the faith, as did my mom, and when they came to America after WWII joined an Orthodox church in Sacramento CA, and lived joyous happy celebratory lives, in this beautiful and free country.

2 Likes