Viewing Prayers as only a "Help Tool"

(Samuel Khaw) #1

I am not a person who prays a lot, but i only pray to God when i seems to have trouble, hardships or when im facing difficulties.

Sometimes i myself feel that as a christian im just running to God when there is trouble, but when everything is ok or life is good, i just don’t pray or even want to talk to God. Now I know God is my tower of refuge, my protector but my mom also says that as a christian you shouldn’t just be praying when you are in trouble or else God to you would just be a problem solver and not a God where you have a personal relationship with.

I just feel guilty, just feel like Im treating God and i do not know where do i start from in terms of my prayer, in terms of my relationship with God ? Should i just abandon everything since i totally could not develop a further relationship with God other than a problem solver ?

With this question, i also start to realize that my own pride in life is also seems to be playing a factor with my relationship with God which would lead me to my second question.

One one hand, when life is good, intellectually i just don’t see why do i need to keep praying and just asking from Him. I also view people who keeps praying to God like being too dependent on God. From my point of view intellectually, God is God, he is strong, kind and if you are doing good why pray more ? Is praying more just going to give you more ?

If my thoughts and questions are all over the place, i do apologize as this has been a very hard subject for me personally.

(SeanO) #2

@Samuel_95 I don’t think prayer is easy for anyone - especially early on in the Christian walk, but even further along in our walk due to busyness, distraction or pride. So struggling with prayer is perfectly normal.

So why pray if everything is going well in our life? I think the key is to understand that prayer is more than just asking God for help - that is called ‘supplication’. But there are 3 other key parts to prayer as easily remembered by the acrostic ACTS - prayer consists of Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving and Supplication. Even if everything in life is going great we should still adore Him through worship, give thanks and confess our sins. And guess what? We can also pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ even if our life is going well, and for the lost, and for the poor and broken. So even if our life is going well, we can still come to God on behalf of so many others!

Ephesians 6:18 - And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

What Motivates Prayer - Love

The story in Luke 7:36-50 is a powerful reminder that the more we recognize how much God has loved us, the more we will love Him in response. So meditating on the Gospel is so important for motivating prayer.

Luke 7:44-47 - Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me nowater for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. 45 You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. 46 You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. 47 Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.”

Good book on the Gospel.

Who empowers prayer? The Holy Spirit

We should pray daily to be filled with God’s Spirit, because it is He who empowers us to pray and to live the Christian life.

Romans 8:26 - In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.

Ephesians 6:18 - And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

Some People to Pray For

Pray for persecuted Christians - they need our prayers!

Pray for compassion, an organization that helps children in need:

https://www.compassion.com/prayer.htm

Pray for RZIM and Wellspring International - for your local Church - for the salvation of your friends and family.

Another Connect Thread on Prayer

Some Teaching on Prayer

The Power of Prayer?
(Samuel Khaw) #3

@SeanO thanks for the reply. Should i have any other futher questions on this topic. I will replied under this thread.

(SeanO) #4

@Samuel_95 Sounds great - yes, do continue the discussion. I’m sure others may have thoughts as well. Christ be with you as you walk the journey of learning to pray and serve the living God :slight_smile:

(C Rhodes) #5

Morning. Just wanted to share my own progression with prayer. I think as a kid I was taught that prayer was a means to talk to GOD about things and people that troubled me. That, I believe, was an appropriate start. It was only later that my prayers begin to mirror real communication.

It was perplexities in my life that left me bereft of any ideas or even assumptions of what would fix things. I was simply stunned into silence. Grief so overwhelming I just cried. I was angry that GOD had even allowed such things in my life.

So, for about eight hours one day, I refused to pray. I refused to seek solace from GOD. I was mad. Thank GOD even while throwing a prayer fit, I was wise enough to reject the enemy’s suggestion, to whom I simply replied; “you can shut up, the up!” I knew satan had nothing for me. It was GOD I was mad with.

It felt like I wept more in those eight hours than I had all my life. By the end of that work day, my heart began to cry out despite my anger. Over and over a song played in my mind; “Who should I turn to if I should turn away from GOD.” Sitting alone at home that evening, I heard in my heart an assurance. I was going to make it through the grief and I was going to emerge knowing GOD in a manner I had never known.

The knowing has been breathtaking and continuous.

Prayer became multi in its nature. Sometimes a song my heart singing. Sometimes just listening stillness in the presence of GOD. Sometimes words summoned by the grievous limitations of my human body and mind. Prayer is my participation in the relationship with JESUS. I have become more attentive because of the benefits it affords me.

I have learned that often I don’t know what is best to pray for; I can only stand in the knowledge of what I would like to see. What I am convinced indicates the best choice for the restoration I think is needed.

But I continue to learn respect and trust for our Creator. Who I acknowledge needs no solutions from me. Needs no prompting for what serves as best for me, or even for others. Many times now, I approach the conversation with humbleness, desiring what the Lord intends in the situation. What is best for the individual? What is best for me? Not necessarily what feels good or even what stops the tears. Prayer is the urshering and uniting of myself to the most important relationship in my world.

Okay, I will stop myself, I could go on and on. There is so much more in my heart.