Was Barnabus an Apostle?

Does Acts 14:14 say Barnabas was an apostle? If not way is apostles plural?

Acts 14:14 (ESV) “But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their garments and rushed out into the crowd, crying out,”

Cheers and blessings,

Ryan

1 Like

I believe the short answer is yes. I have added a link here to a more detailed answer. I would be interested in your thoughts.

3 Likes

Jimmy, thanks for the reply! It’s an interesting explanation. This is the first I’ve heard of it and observed it in scripture so I will need to check it out further. Thank you so much for you reply!

Cheers and blessings,

Ryan

2 Likes

Please share your findings. I have to admit that I never gave much thought to that verse but I have thought about what was/is meant in the broadest terms by apostle then and now. Looking forward to thoughts.

1 Like

So far I have confirmed it on blue letter Bible.

1 Like

That’s great. Here is another really good resource to add to your study guides.

Never mind the reference to Matthew it happens to be home page in this view but you can change that to suit your needs.

1 Like

Thank you Jimmy!

1 Like

I ran up on this verse this morning. I thought that it might be of interest and it is relevant to your topic. It is from 2 Peter 1:1.

Simeon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained a faith equal in value to ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ.

In this verse “equal valve” could be read “equal standing” and if we are equal in standing is it a stretch to assume that all believers are in so sense apostles? We are brothers and sisters to the King.