Was Jesus Married to Mary Magdalene

(Sandy Stapleton) #1

Is there any credible argument for Jesus being married? My brother is stuck on this track, probably because of the Dan Brown book and movie. Does anyone have a reason i can give for why Jesus taking a wife is absurd although the culture would have condoned it?
The only thing I can come up with is the cultural practice of the eldest son providing for your Mother and family after your death. Jesus did this at the cross and charged John(curious it was not James) with taking care/responsibility of His Mother before He gave up His Spirit and died… Jesus would not have left a wife behind at least not without mentioning it.
Also there is the thought that since Jesus knew He was destined to die young and so would not have taken a wife, Man of Integrity which He was. He determined to further the kingdom only as His life pursuit, well three years of it at least. Are we to also remain celibate then?
Has anyone seriously addressed this question before where I could do some research?

4 Likes
(Billy Ang) #2

Hi Sandy,
sounds like a tricky question but I believe the Bible is the single source of truth and there’s nothing in scriptures about Jesus and Mary.

In fact, God the Son came to do only 1 thing, to redeem us!

Remember Jesus’s first words?

4 Likes
(Sara Isaac) #3

Hey Sandy! Funny as it may sound, but this is a common thought! After watching that movie a couple of years ago, I thought, ‘Why not?’ But here is an interesting thought you could share with your brother:
-Most people who tend to believe this argue that the early christians were ashamed of this fact, and therefore had to hide it to in order to maintain a certain image of Jesus. In fact, the Jew turned out to know nothing about the Messiah. What he would do, what he would teach or whether he gets to get married or not. On the contrary, I guess they would have been fine with it as prophets did have wives in the past, and some were hand picked by God Himself as in Hosea, for example.
-As implied in the movie, this would have been an issue echoed later on. But the gospel writers wouldn’t have thought of it and would have delivered the information as it was at the time. So yes, our Bible is a reliable source. The Bible mentions that Jesus said about Himself that He doesn’t know the hour of His return. So, I guess if the writers were making every attempt to deify Him, they would have left this out along with the marriage thing.
-Marriage is holy. And that is depicted through Jesus’ teaching and throughout the whole Bible. Actually, I wouldn’t have had a problem if Jesus was married! But the thing is, Jesus already has a bride! The church.
"Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready.” [Revelation 19:7]
To be married to someone is enter a relationship of union; to be one. And that’s exactly what Jesus has done. He became, through his death and resurrection, one with all of us. “But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit.” 1 Corinthians 6:17 “Unite” here is in the same verb used in this verse ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’ which is kollēthēseta or kollṓmenos.
So, in this light you could have this conversation again with your brother and tell us what you have reached. I pray that this could be a turning point in his life and that his eyes open to new horizons with Jesus. And I pray that God uses you in the process.
Let us know Sandy how it goes.

7 Likes
(Koranteng Joshua Yaw) #4

@sstaple I believe we have no historical evidence to support that suggestion.
The early church will have gladly mentioned it. Let us look at a few references to Jesus’ blood relatives and how the Scriptures captures it.

John 2:12 New International Version (NIV)

12 After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother and brothers and his disciples. There they stayed for a few days.

Matthew 12:46 New International Version (NIV)

Jesus’ Mother and Brothers

46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him.

Matthew 13:55 New International Version (NIV)

55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas?

From Luke 1:36, we can see that Mary, Jesus’ mother was related to John the Baptist’s mother.

Luke 1:35-36 New International Version (NIV)

35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month.

I have listed these that we might see that the early writers were specific when documenting the ministry and life of the Man Jesus.

Thank you.

1 Like
(Keith Moore) #5

I guess a good question to ask would be, “why are you asking if Jesus had a wife?” I suspect the reason will be about the reliability of the church and the gospel record, rather than any supposed impact on the deity of Christ. The popular argument around this issue (as brought out in the Da Vinci code) is that Peter was jealous of Jesus’ relationship with Mary, so he has her role downplayed in the gospels. This is then followed by the argument that a later pope ‘branded’ her a prostitute, sullying her character. Lastly, the Gnostic gospel of Mary Magdalena gets mentioned in the Da Vinci code. Brown (borrowing from others) writes that the text says that Jesus would kiss Mary. This is not the case. The text says something like (& this is from memory) ‘Jesus … Mary’; the word ‘kiss’ isn’t there. They is a gap, missing text. And so they guessed. Another “gospel” fragment from the 4th century appeared a couple of years ago with some speech on it. It said (again from memory) ‘Jesus said, “My wife…”’ This caused a stir in the media, but then suddenly was never mentioned again. It turned out to be a forgery. None of the media that excitedly reported the find did a follow up saying it was fake.

1. If Jesus had a wife she would have been mentioned. Even Peter’s wife gets indirectly referenced twice!
  2. Even if Peter was jealous (but this is just slandering his character) there were 11 other disciples, two of whom wrote gospels. Surely they would have mentioned her? John describes the closeness of his relationship with Jesus (the disciple Jesus loved!) No cause for jealousy there, but he doesn’t mention her.
  3. Paul had differences of opinion with others openly, including Peter - would he simply ignore the wife of his Lord just because Peter had an issue?
  4. Paul writes about the fact that followers of Christ have a right to be married. He uses Peter as an example. Why not use Jesus as the ultimate example if Jesus was married?
    That’s just a few thoughts. I hope that they help.
2 Likes