Was Moses Circumcised, if so when? Thanks

Was Moses circumsized? If so, when? I can only find when his son was circumsized.

1 Like

Intriguing question to ponder in light of his children and Exodus Chapter 4 the Bridegroom of blood.
While there is no mention in the Bible of that taking place, we know that Jewish tradition had already begun hundreds of years earlier as seen in Genesis 17
On that very day Abraham took his son, Ishmael, and every male in his household, including those born there and those he had bought. Then he circumcised them, cutting off their foreskins, just as God had told him. Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised, Both Abraham and his son, Ishmael, were circumcised on that same day, along with all the other men and boys of the household, whether they were born there or bought as servants. All were circumcised with him.
Genesis 17:23‭-‬24‭, ‬26‭-‬27
With out going through all the lineage know Moses was of the house of Levi he would according to the Abrahamic Covenant be circumcised.
Hope this clears it up for you.
Mike

1 Like

Thanks again

Rich Iverson

2 Likes

Good question, @Richi. I’d say that since Exodus 12:48 says that no uncircumcised person could eat the passover, but Moses ate the passover, then we can deduce that he was circumcised even without knowing where or when it happened.

1 Like

I think the answer might be yes based on the fact the Bible tells us that other nation practiced circumcision. We know Moses was raised as an Egyptian and based on this verse (Yahweh is speaking) it is highly likely that he was circumcised.

25 “Look, days are coming,” ⌊declares⌋ Yahweh, “and I will call into account all those who are circumcised in the foreskin: 26 Egypt, Judah, and Edom, and the ⌊Ammonites⌋, and Moab, and all those who are trimmed to the side, those who live in the desert, for all the nations are uncircumcised, and all the house of Israel are uncircumcised of heart.” (Je 9:25–26 LEB)

After thought: As a clarifying point, Circumcision was not necessarily a sign of consecration to God as the above verse demonstrates.

1 Like