Was Moses' name was removed

Hello everybody. Is there a bible passage in the Old Testament that says about Moses’ name being erased from the history of Egypt?

Or am I imagining stuff?

2 Likes

I couldn’t find this in Scripture. However, that line does show up in the movie The Ten Commandments starring Charlton Heston. Maybe that is where you heard it?

4 Likes

Maybe you are thinking about this verse?

Then Moses returned to the LORD, and said, “Alas, this people has committed a great sin, and they have made a god of gold for themselves. But now, if Thou wilt, forgive their sin—and if not, please blot me out from Thy book which Thou hast written!” And the LORD said to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book.”—Exodus 32:31–33, emphasis mine

Let us know.

2 Likes

@Joshua_Hansen Yes now I remember. It is indeed from the movie Ten Commandments.

2 Likes

Hi @Jimmy_Sellers, thanks for the feedback. That passage is more like Moses asking name to be removed. But my question was related to the pharaoh asking Moses’ name to removed from the pages of Egyptian history. Thanks, @Joshua_Hansen for reminding that it was actually from the movie. But I wonder if there could be any archeological or historical evidence that shows pharaoh removed Moses’ name. Contemporary Egyptian history does not speak of Moses. Am I correct?

1 Like

Thank you for that interesting querry. .it made me ponder my life before Christ and how what I knew about the bible was all based on what Preists and Hollywood showed not only me but multitudes of people. I was a Catholic in name only I had no interest in the Bible. The truth revealed through Him is more powerful than one can imagine. Praise God for His faithfulness to us.
Mike

This is totally outside of my wheel house but a quick google search did find that this is a well worn topic. I have a link to a site that addressed the topic.

Having said that this conversation reminds me of the history of the Jerusalem Talmud which is dated between 200CE and 400CE. If you recall a very impactful period for western history and a time of disappointment for the Jewish culture. Here is a quote from Jacob Neusner on that time in Israel’s history.

Admittedly, the Talmud says nothing about Constantine or Julian, the proposed Temple, the devastation of synagogues, let alone mass apostasy (if that is what happened). But these things did happen, all of them. Everyone knew about them. Nothing that came in their aftermath can be perceived and interpreted wholly outside the realm of reality they define. Like famine, earthquake, plague, invasion, so too despair, disappointment, and disengagement with the old Israel—these are facts. They set the stage and the scene for all actors, whatever their dialogue. While defiance takes many forms, in my view the chief among these is normality, serene reason in spite of all. In context we see that this was the Talmud’s response: triumph over despair.

Neusner, J. (2003). Judaism in Society: The Evidence of the Yerushalmi: Toward the Natural History of a Religion (pp. 16–17). Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock Publishers.

My point here is that cultures deal with tragedies differently then one might expect.