We are all God's Children

This is a statement Leo Varadkar made when he and his boyfriend went to the White House to visit Christian Vice President Pence.

I guess as an attempt to block any Christian judgment.
But something does not sit right with me about this statement.

Part A:
If we are all God’s children does that not imply we know him?
In other words, I need to know the person before I get to call them father.
And like-wise a father needs to know their child before they can truly be called ‘God’s child’?
The implication is that Leo made a false statement.
In the absence of a relationship to start, how can there be a parent-child / God’s child declaration?

Part B:
If this is a ‘false declaration’ on Leo’s part; how would you address it in a loving, biblical way?

Discuss.

1 Like

If I were to just isolate this phrase, I might have to disagree with it. I have a son, and he knows me. But, does he really know me? How much can he possible fathom at his young age about me. So, if he really doesn’t know me, is he still not my child? The moment he was born I was his father and he was my son. But, at the time he didn’t know me at all. I think the father son relationship has more to do with the father knowing the child than the child knowing the father. Further I think it is more in the begetting than the knowing.

So perhaps there is something wrong with what this person said, but I don’t think it lies this way.

1 Like

@MJM Great question :slight_smile: First off, I think we have to acknowledge that there has been a lot of mistreatment of people in the LGBT community in the past and it was wrong—terribly wrong. And we should be clear that we care about every single one of these people—about their stories, about their struggles, and about their souls.

Second, I think we need to be wise about who and when and what we say. Some people need to hear about God’s love and to see that love in our lives. They are not ready to hear about righteousness—they are not even in the Kingdom yet. They don’t need us to correct every wrong thing they say, but instead for us to live out God’s love and truth in our lives so that they can thirst for living water.

Now, to the quote you posted. Jesus Himself corrected this common misconception that everyone is a child of God. Jesus is very clear—if you reject the truth you are not a child of God. Salvation is the only way to become a child of God. Those who love God keep His commands.

John 8:42-47 - Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? 47 Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.

The things that @Joshua_Hansen and @SeanO have said are true. God is our heavenly Father by virtue of the new birth.

But sometimes people who claim that we are all God’s children will defend it by claiming that the Bible calls God the Father of all mankind. And there are a couple of passages in the Old Testament that do say that.

Malachi 2:10, have we not all one father? Hath not one God created us?

Isaiah 64:8, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we are all the work of thy hand.

But these verses are meaning that God is the father of all mankind by virtue of creation - as the verses themselves clearly say. In other words, He’s not the heavenly Father of all men - He does not have a spiritual relationship with all men - most men are spiritually dead.

In the same sense, He’s the Father of the angelic hosts by virtue of creation. Job 38:4-7 says that when God laid the foundations of the earth, the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy. Obviously these cannot be humans shouting for joy when God lays the foundations of the earth on Day One.

But Hebrews 1:5 says that God never called any angel His Son the way He did with Christ. The relationship that the only begotten Son of God has with the heavenly Father is unique.

And yet, He shares it with all men who are begotten of Him at the moment of salvation.

So all men are His natural children by virtue of their natural birth into His creation. But this creation will pass away, and those who are only connected to Him through it will pass away with it.

But Christ’s followers are his spiritual children by virtue of their spiritual birth into His new creation that will last for one day - but it will be a very long Day (Revelation 22:5)!

1 Like

All,
thanks for your thoughts and input.
Very interesting.

So if you were Mike Pence, based on your feedback, how would you react to Leo’s comments?
If we imagine he and his boyfriend arriving for dinner, perhaps it would go something like this:

Hi guys,
welcome to the White House.
We love you.
God loves you.
God’s heart longs to know you.

You know Leo, you are right in what you say, we are all God’s children.
But that is just part of the story…[and then what -> in short, succinct, thought provoking manner -> in the same way his statement was simple, short and also thought provoking]

1 Like

Ah - you mean like a snappy comeback that leaves them pondering - and perhaps leads to a longer conversation before they depart. Something like:

“We are all God’s children!”

“Yes, but children mortally wounded by a Fall, in need of a Great Physician!”

“Yes, but children captured by an Enemy, in need of the Son’s rescue!”

“Yes, but children under a Sorcerer’s spell who need to hear the Father calling them back!”

Maybe these will get you started.

Hope it helps!

@MJM I’m not sure a snappy comeback would necessarily be helpful. If I got to have dinner with Leo, I might ask, “So, Leo, what did you mean when you said we are all God’s children?”

I would listen for two things: (1) What did Leo really mean? (2) Is Leo open to another perspective at this time?

You know, sometimes its better to seek to understand the other person and give them the opportunity to ask you a question in return, rather than seeking to correct them. So, after Leo explains what he meant, he may ask you, “What do you think about that?” if he is interested in continuing the conversation.

There is an old saying: A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

2 Likes

Thanks all for your thoughts.

1 Like