Were Old Testament verses intentionally mistranslated?

Dear Sir,

One Jewish teacher said that several important verses( from jewish Tanakh to Christian Old Testament) were mistranslated to support New Testament claims.More so, literal translation( from Tanakh to Christian Old Testament) was also corrupted in many places over and over. Is the jewish teacher right?

Can you please help me?

Thank you.
Dan Kamei.

3 Likes

Hello @Kamei_Dan:
Can you ask your friend to be more specific in his claims? I am not asking to put him or you on the spot but this could be addressed from several different avenues. Here is a very short statement from an expert in the field of Judaism that would disagree with your friend:

The main point is that Judaism and Christianity agree on the sanctity of the Old Testament = Tanakh, but disagree about its meaning.

Neusner, J. (2006). Between Time and Eternity: The Essentials of Judaism (p. 8). Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock Publishers.

He goes on to say that most Christians don’t take into account the oral Torah, Mishna, which is inseparable from any understanding of Judaism as we know it from the 1st century to the present. Here is what Neusner had to say.

We have already observed that Tanakh (“Old Testament”) supplies the prehistory of Christianity. It also provides the foundations of Judaism—specifically, of the form of Judaism that dominated from the late first century to modern times and continues to flourish in the present age. That Judaism is called rabbinic, because its teachers are rabbis; or talmudic, because its teachings are contained in and authoritatively taught by the Talmud (which we shall describe shortly); or normative, in the sense that all other modes are declared heterodox or heretical—a highly theological adjective; or classical, in the sense that this mode of Judaism is deemed authoritative and of enduring excellence—another theological adjective. In alleging that Rabbinic Judaism begins in the first century, of course, we ignore what Rabbinic Judaism says about itself: that it was revealed as part of the Law when Moses received the Law from God on Mount Sinai…When God revealed the Torah to Moses at Mount Sinai—that is, the events depicted in the Book of Exodus—revelation took two forms. One is the Written Torah, which is widely known. That consisted to begin with of the Five Books of Moses. Under the inspiration of God, various other prophets, psalmists, and chroniclers added to the sacred Scriptures.

Neusner, J. (2006). Between Time and Eternity: The Essentials of Judaism (pp. 10–11). Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock Publishers.

Maybe this will help you move the conversation along as you continue to learn. God bless you in this endeavor,

2 Likes

Well the best thing about this is that one can always learn Hebrew and find out for their self. Which is what a lot of scholars did. Now as far translations from Hebrew to English in earlier translations of the Bible I would say they are less accurate than the newer ones now.

But Christians are very open about this. I would ask for examples and then do some research.

@Kamei_Dan Please see the following books - great resources :slight_smile:

Thank you Sir.

Thank you Sir

Thank you.

Hi, I just want to add that there are still copies of the OT in the original language with tools you can use to interpret almost every word in the OT.

I have a Bible software program called Accordance. With this software I can look at the original word that was in Hebrew or Aramaic and determine for myself whether that word was translated well or not in translations of the Bible.

In this way, there is a way of fact checking whether the OT was translated correctly or not.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

wow that sounds wonderful
Software called Accordance

A lot of Biblical scholars/pastors use a software program like this. It’s a really cool little secret. Now, there are several different software programs you can use. I just use Accordance because it’s cheaper than Logos software program and it has almost everything I need. That said, while these software programs are great, they can get pretty expensive. Still, what I have seen from Accordance is that you can get things like commentaries and all kinds of multiple volume stuff for cheaper than you could get it if you got it by hard copy, not to mention all the original language stuff as well.

It really does become an investment and gives you some really cool tools for understanding the Bible better, but at a cost.

Here’s a Screenshot of what Accordance can do.

Thank you much for the info.Jesse!!!

1 Like

Thank you for the guidance bro.