What about people that were born before Jesus if he is “the way” how will they be saved

What about people that were born before Jesus if he is “the way” how will they be saved? This is a question that I keep running through my mind. Is anyone able to comment on this please?

1 Like

You might find this thread helpful. May God grant to you understanding as you seek. You will find.

1 Like

Hi George. Good question. God since Abrahim, identifies Himself with humanity as a personal and relational God. And the culmination or the climax of this disclosure was manifest in the person of Jesus Christ who is “the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being” Hebrews 1:3 NIV. Jesus is God in flesh and blood which is the perfect mean that God used to communicate with us and to us His Person. But throughout the Old Testament God spoke through different ways to His people, though may be not as perfect or complete as the way He reaveled Himself through the Son, but He did it; “In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son”
But I know that you could mean that those before Christ didn’t get to enjoy the salvation at its best or wholly. But the conviction that Jesus came a bit late during the history of humanity is wrong. There are many studies that show that period the Jesus was born in was before the population breakout and the exponential increase in number. Some even say that only 2% of humanity perceded Christ’s coming.
I will just add this in case i got right into the topic without elaborating: The salvation that Jesus brought was the reconcilliation with God. Being in a relationship and communion with God is what saves you and restores you to the person you were originally created to be, to return to the authentic version of yourself which is more you than that corrupted by Sin.

2 Likes

@george.kyriacou That is a great question. The OT saints put their faith in God and even though they did not know about Jesus their faith was credited to them as righteousness. Not everyone knew or knows that Jesus is the means of salvation, but they can still trust in the living God who has revealed Himself through creation. At a fundamental level faith in God is belief in His existence and His goodness to those who seek Him.

Below are a few Connect threads related to your question that you may find helpful.

Genesis 15:6 - Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness.

Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

The Means and the Object

The OT saints put their faith in God (and Jesus is God). Therefore their faith was in the right Person. The object of their faith was correct.

However, they did not yet understand the means of salvation - how it would be accomplished. But because the object of their faith was correct, their faith was counted as righteousness.

• God is the object of faith
  • the cross of Christ is the means of salvation
1 Like