What about the 99 sheep Jesus leaves to go after the one? Is He not also worried about them?

Hi Jacob,

Hi lead a small group of teenage girls at my local church. We were studying Luke 15:1-7, The parable of the lost sheep. One of the girls was particularly concerned that Jesus would leave all of the rest of the sheep in the wilderness while he searched for the one which was lost. She was worried about all of these sheep wandering off and getting lost themselves, or killed. I did not know how to answer her question. What advice do you have for me?

2 Likes

Hi Tara,
Yes children seem to ask the most pertinent and difficult questions. I teach Sunday School for the age groups 9-12 in my church, and it definitely is a challenging apologetic endeavour:)
One of the important ways to understand parables is not to analyse every detail and see how it is logically flawed. Parables are simple stories, used to illustrate a deep spiritual turth. So they focus on one particular point and the emphasis of the story is on that particular point. In this parable the point is that for God every single person is valuable in His eyes. The individual is as precious as the group. You can tell your student that the shepherd would have ensured that the rest of the flock were completely safe and protected until he returned. He would have made sure of it before going to find that one sheep.

2 Likes