What advice do you have for someone to balance a career, a family, and doing school?

What advice do you have for someone to balance a career, a family, and doing school?

3 Likes

Thanks for the question. Family, career, and school can make for a tough balancing act, so it’s vital to get your priorities straight. When we take a look at this list, the order of priority ought to be: 1) family 2) career 3) school. School and career may be interchangeable depending on circumstances, but I’m assuming that the career supports the schooling, and I’ve assigned them accordingly.

Getting our priorities straight follows St. Augustine’s admonition to properly order our loves. If you put your career or your schooling above your family, for instance, you’ve got a problem. On the other hand, there needs to be some mutual understanding regarding the fact that sacrifices will be required of everyone for a season. School will capitalize a lot of your time and this will affect your family. For this reason, time management is also indispensable. As a general rule, I find that we all have more time than we think we do; we’re just poor planners. Moreover, many of us simply drift through our days, reacting instead of being proactive. Put together a tight plan to tackle your many tasks. Also, it has to be said, don’t be an idealist: Expect interruptions, especially if you have kids! Finally, build in rest. We all need Sabbath in our lives. Subtract rest and you’ll find that you’re operating in an increasingly erratic and agitated state of mind.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes