What advice does the Bible provide for entrepreneurs and business leaders?

(Anas Ansari) #1

Is there any advice God has given for Entrepreneurs and Business in the Bible, anything from justice to making wise decisions, tell me any chapter and verse below for me to read, thank you

(Roger Greene) #2

Hi Anas, as someone who has founded and run a business, I can say that I don’t recall any one part of the Bible that spoke exactingly to the situation you face. The Bible’s concern isn’t so much how to deal with a specific situation, but how to grown in understanding and in relationship with Jesus. I think reading the whole Bible, repeatedly, will be extremely helpful in navigating situations that comes up as it relates to ethics, business practices, and so on.

That being said, three verses that really spoke to me during that time in my life were:

1. Matthew 6:33

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

As an entrepreneur, everything about your company is riding on you. You are the focal point until such time as the company can sustain itself apart from your presence. In such a circumstance it can be easy to refocus your life on your work. You have to remember that your relationship with God is paramount, and you need to take deliberate steps to ensure that work does not override your priorities and usurp the place of God in your life.

1. Colossians 3:23-24

And whatever you do, do it heartily as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.

On the flip side of becoming a workaholic, there is also a temptation to slack off, to take it easy because the only person you’ll let down is you. You have to really dig deep and remember that regardless of what you’re doing, you’re doing it for God, not for yourself or anyone else.

1. James 4:13-15

Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow… instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.”

It is important to remember that God is the sustainer and giver of all things. You cannot do anything apart from Him. I made it the habit of arriving 30 minutes early to pitch meetings just to sit in my car and pray. My prayer was almost always some form of: “Lord, if this is your will for this business, then please make it easy, give me wisdom. If this is counter to your will then Lord take this opportunity away.”

In all things seek God and His wisdom and he will guide you. That should always be step 1.

All the best in your new adventures and I hope you find this helpful! I’ll be praying for you!

(Gersona Andrianarijaona) #3

to what @rgreene said, I’d like to add James 1.5 which talks about asking wisdom from God.
you might also want to have a look at the book of Nehemiah . not so long ago, I read a commentary on that of Nehemia, with a focus on his entrepreneurship/leadership character traits, and i saw it contains meaningful stuff on the subject

(Julia Bracewell) #4

Ephesians 4:28 comes to mind, “Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.”

Thought about this one while I was doing economic empowerment work for women in Malawi. Some had expressed that the only way they could provide for their family in times of need was by stealing the things they required. By supporting these women as they began their own businesses, we were allowing them to find dignity again in doing honest work and loving their families the way they wanted to. In this way, I really could see how business and entrepreneurship glorifies God!!

Hope that helps!

(Carson Weitnauer) #6

Hi @HeroGuy,

These two books contain a mix of Biblical reflection and very practical tips for entrepreneurs who are seeking to start or grow a business. They’ve enabled many to be more successful in the U.S., Honduras, Haiti, Mexico, and other countries.

My friend (and hero) Alec Hill has written a careful study of Christian ethics for the marketplace. You might find his book helpful as well:

Perhaps the best known book on the subject is Tim Keller’s:

(Anas Ansari) #7

Thanks for suggesting these books, thats a lot of help👍

(Anas Ansari) #8

Thanks

(Anas Ansari) #9

Thank you

(Anas Ansari) #10

Thank you

(Pat Finley) #11

Dennis Peacocke wrote a book about 20 years ago called Doing Business God’s Way. Also when it comes to wisdom, I always recommend reading and knowing the book of Proverbs.