What are some of your favorite Christian books that you would say are ‘off the beaten path’?

@mittelm What are some of your favorite Christian books that you would say are ‘off the beaten path’?

Also, how did God’s call on your life shape itself? How did God bring the open doors and mentors for ministry into your life?

2 Likes

Hmmm… off the beaten path? Well, SeanO, these aren’t really obscure, but I get a lot of encouragement from biographies of Christian heroes. One I’ve read a couple of times in the past few years is Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret (someone needs to make a movie about this man – a self-taught young missionary from England who almost singlehandedly led the efforts that brought the gospel to the interior of China). I also loved A Passion for Souls (about Dwight L. Moody) by Lyle Dorsett, Martin Luther by Eric Metaxas, and Walking from East to West by Ravi Zacharias.

Some more recent books I thoroughly enjoyed: Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus from my late friend, Nabeel Qureshi (everyone in the world should read it – along with The Case for Christ). A couple newer ones from Lee Strobel: The Case for Grace (stunning stories of life-change via the transforming power of God) and his newest, The Case for Miracles (jaw dropping accounts of God’s supernatural activity). One more I read recently that I found inspiring was Greg Laurie and Ellen Vaughn’s JESUS REVOLUTION: How God Transformed an Unlikely Generation and How He Can Do It Again Today. I also thought Francis Chan’s The Forgotten God was poignant and important (about the Holy Spirit).

God’s call on my life came (and is still coming) incrementally. I wish I could’ve been one of those who got a clearcut assignment at the beginning. Instead, God seem to lead be down a curvy path, one bend at a time. Anyone relate?

The mentor question: I’ve mostly found mentors by seeking them out, getting to know them, asking questions, seeking to learn from them but also to add value to their lives. I think becoming a friend and ministry partner to key people (rather than a fan) makes a huge difference in how you’re perceived and interacted with.

4 Likes