What are your 12 tips for spiritual conversations?

nathanrittenhouse
conversationalevangelism

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi Nathan, could you give us 12 tips for spiritual conversations? :slight_smile:

Ask Nathan Rittenhouse (March 5-9, 2018)
(Nathan Rittenhouse) #2

Hey Carson, here is my very condensed version. What have the rest of you found to be helpful? What tips should I add?

1. Many of our most meaningful conversations are around issues of hope. In 1 Peter hope is always in reference to what God has done through Christ. Therefore the reason for our hope is Christ. Look for ways that the world uses the word ‘hope’ (movies, news, politics) and then ask questions about hope to your friends… and you are off to a great conversation.

2. The word religion comes from Latin word meaning to ‘re-ligament’ or connect the pieces/bones. Religion in this sense is not a bad thing at all. Make sure that people understand how your faith connects all part of your life- back up and get the big picture.

3. Expect skepticism. We live in an overly-marketed world that makes truth claims in order to make money. Why shouldn’t people be skeptical of the claims of Christ? Show that Christ presents truth out of love for the other. It is a different motivation for truth.

4. Asking questions and listening well:
    a. exposes cultural/personal traps
    b. Exposes faulty logic
    c. Makes the others think- You aren’t the only one that has to defend your worldview
    d. Exposes general assumptions
    e. Exposes people’s motives (reason for not wanting this to be true?)

5. Don’t expect mind readers: Non-Christians know a lot less about what you believe than you think. Invite non-Christians to Christian events- this actually works.

6. Other religions like to talk about religion. Get stumped, look it up and try again. Don’t assume you know what they believe- a lot of variety

7. Be able to answer why am I a Christian, not just how I became a Christian, in 3-5 minutes. Think about this, it is harder than it sounds. If Christ is a part of your life, then sharing the gospel is a natural part of sharing your life story.

8. Pray for specific people, and for specific opportunities.

9. Expect yourself to be the kind of person who asks spiritual questions. If I think of myself as a runner, I’m likely to run, etc.

10. Think about your response to questions that people often ask you. Example: Because of my beard people would jokingly ask me all the time, “Are you Amish?” I would laugh and say, “No, but what do you know about the Amish? What they believe? Why do you think people are so interested in their way of life?” Are they Christians? We just went from a conversation they started about beards to Jesus in 75 seconds.
    10a) Make value statements out of questions that you are frequently asked. If you are a student someone may say, “What do you study?” Be ready with an answer. You could say, “Nursing.” Or, you could say, “Nursing, because I believe that human life is really valuable and I’m willing to dedicate my life to that.” That isn’t a gospel presentation, but did certainly bait the hook for someone that wants to have a deeper conversation.
    What do you do for a living/job? (Can you make a value added response to this?)

11. Look for things to affirm and ask questions. Example: If you see someone at a booth protesting sex-trafficking- “I really appreciate your work because I think human life and sexuality is sacred. What led you into this work?”
    Another example, “I think that your Justice work is really important because people are made in the image of God, what do you mean when you use the word justice?”
    Holidays are great for saying something like, “I enjoy celebrating X because… what about you?”

12. I don’t know is an okay answer (for some things).

How can I be more effective in sharing the Gospel with my LGBTQ friend?
(Kay Kalra) #3