What are your views on the issue of people who are born hermaphrodites?

Welcome back David. Your book was very informative, thank you.
Question I have is based upon recent events (One was the “Skeptic’s Night”. An RZIM event.).

If I understood the speaker correctly (Abdu I think) he said that God created male and female. Not male or female. However, something happened and the person did not leave the womb as one or the other which was God’s plan.

The hang up that I have is that we have an athlete who is transgender competing in women’s events. This does not sit well with me, but am I wrong to call it unfair?
Thanks
Bill

2 Likes

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your question and for reading my book, Bill! If I understand your paraphrase of Abdu, he may have been referring to the passage in Matthew 19:12: “For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others–and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.” In this case, Jesus refers to those of us who are born intersex (that’s the “I” in the acronym LGBTQ(I)+). Intersex people are born with genitalia that isn’t easily identified as male-or-female. Abdu may have been arguing that because of the presence of sin and death in God’s creation, what God originally intended for us - namely that we would be embodied as male and female - has been affected.

However, we see that God’s response to this reality is that any of us who are embodied in this way are promised a “name better than having sons and daughters” (Isaiah 56) and have been grafted into God’s covenant through Jesus (Acts 8 - Ethiopian eunuch), and that being made in the image of God is not dependent on expressing our embodiment as male or female, but was originally intended to be this way to reflect God’s glory in the covenant of marriage, and a differentiated humanity that could love the other (patterned according to the Trinity which involves eternal three-in-one communion). The Gospel is therefore good news for LGBTQI+ people, and calls us to live according God’s “statutes and commands” (Isaiah 56), given a name of high honour.

I personally think the question of whether it’s unfair for a transgender person competing in women’s events is best left to the sports profession to ascertain. I personally think it may be insensitive to that individual to say it’s unfair if the relative authorities have deemed it fair. As Christians, we are called to extend grace, and to support those on their journey, even if our opinion may differ or we disagree on the nature of human embodiment and gender. God doesn’t look on the outside of a person but rather, on the heart (1 Samuel 16:7).

Many thanks for your question!
David.

4 Likes