What books threaten the philosophy of scientism?

fazalerana
scientism

(Brian Weeks) #1

Hello Dr. Rana, thank you for your time here. I enjoyed and learned much from your lecture on science and ethics in the Engaging the Modern World elective in the RZIM Academy, as well as your lectures on science and faith at the 2015 Summer Institute.

My question concerns something you touched on in one of your talks at the Summer Institute - namely, the presuppositions that science assumes in order to do science that are problematic to scientism and naturalism. You mentioned the following:

-The universe is real
-The universe is good, valuable, and worthy of study
-The laws of nature exhibit order, patterns, and regularity
-The laws of nature are the same throughout the universe
-The universe is intelligible, and we as human beings have the ability to discover, understand, and characterize it
-The ethics of reporting findings truthfully

Is there a particular book(s) or other resource(s) where I can learn more about these problematic philosophical preconditions and how they threaten the philosophy of scientism and the naturalistic worldview? And if you have time to share some thoughts on this here, I’d love to hear them.

Thank you very much.

Ask Dr. Fazale Rana (November 13-17, 2017)
(Fazale Rana) #2

Brian,

A great book, though older, is Pearcy and Thaxton’s The Soul of Science: https://www.amazon.com/Soul-Science-Christian-Natural-Philosophy/dp/0891077669/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510621493&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Soul+of+Science

Also, my friend John Bloom wrote a nice book on this topic targeting students: https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Sciences-Reclaiming-Intellectual-2015-01-31/dp/B01FIXU5DK/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510621601&sr=1-9&keywords=John+Bloom

(Brian Weeks) #3

Thanks so much for your reply, Fuz. Those two books will not only help me, but also a couple I talked with this Sunday at church whose mid-twenties daughter has left the faith due to her belief that science is the only way to truth. This couple will surely be thankful for your response as well.

(Carson Weitnauer) #4