What did Jesus really say about the afterlife?

Hello,
I came across this article that seemed to go against a lot of what I’ve been taught, and especially dealt with what Jesus said about heaven and hell.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5822598/jesus-really-said-heaven-hell/%3Famp=true

If anyone would be willing to read this and explain what it’s talking about, or maybe if they got it wrong, I’d be really grateful to see what you have to say.

I won’t claim to know inside Bart Ehrman’s head or heart, but surely he’s read Jesus’s parable of the wheat and tares:

“As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears, let them hear.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭13:40-43‬ ‭NIV‬‬

In my reading and understanding of this passage, it seems to imply that Jesus teaches that hell is not pleasant. There’s also the story of the rich man and Lazarus:

“The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭16:22-24‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I’m not a scholar like Ehrman is, but it’s pretty clear that hell isn’t simply darkness or nothingness.

2 Likes

Thanks, Ashton! I knew there were stories that Jesus talked about this in but couldn’t remember them. :blush:

1 Like

No problem Tirzah! Glad I could help!

1 Like

In reading the argument given Notived this: Ehrdman writes :
“But that is not true. Neither Jesus, nor the Hebrew Bible he interpreted, endorsed the view that departed souls go to paradise or everlasting pain.”

Didn’t Jesus Himself say to the thief on the cross “ even today you will be with me in paradise”…? .obviously Jesus acknowledges paradise as a place He is going and is bringing the Believers there.

2 Likes